Archives Month Poetry Reading

Joshua Zimmerman

Aug 24, 2011, 3:14:09 PM8/24/11
to seattle-arc...@googlegroups.com
Hey all,

I just talked to a Alden Lee, a volunteer here at the Archdiocese about the possibility of putting on a poetry reading during the Archives Fair at SPL.  He has organized readings before (at the Henry) and is an active poet in the Seattle scene.  He feels confident that he could gather together a group of poets for a reading and possibly put out a zine or publication for the event or afterwards (possibly for sale).  We could donate proceeds to a worthy cause.  What do ya'll think?  The theme would be ARCHIVES, broadly interpreted, of course.  I think this could help to draw people to the event and requires very little planning on our part.

We could also put out the call for other poets to join in the event.  We might even have some poets in our ranks that would like to read.  That would be even cooler!

Please let me know what you think?

Jodee, is this a possibility as far as SPL programming?

Also, who is doing what for the fair?  Do you have committees or a core group of planners?

best

Josh Zimmerman

Frantilla, Anne

Aug 24, 2011, 4:38:10 PM8/24/11
to seattle-arc...@googlegroups.com

I’m all in favor of the poetry reading!

Jodee Fenton

Aug 24, 2011, 4:49:01 PM8/24/11
to seattle-arc...@googlegroups.com

This is an interesting idea.  We generally program poetry readings for the auditorium or one of the meeting rooms.  I think there are a couple of things to consider here:

1.       Will poetry draw people to the Central Library who would not already be coming to the Archives Fair and the lecture?

2.       This would be a real stretch for us to host two programs that day and the fair itself.  We try to offer quality programs—which often means that we have to be judicious on the quantity.

That said, an archives poetry event could be hosted on some other day in October, although, I do not think we at Special Collections could take this on.

On another topic, we will have 15 tables for the Archives Fair.  Is someone doing the signups?

Jodee

Patty McNamee

Aug 24, 2011, 6:51:22 PM8/24/11
to seattle-arc...@googlegroups.com
It's a nice change of pace.

>>> "Frantilla, Anne" <Anne.Fr...@seattle.gov> 8/24/2011 1:38 PM >>>

Frantilla, Anne

Aug 24, 2011, 6:54:35 PM8/24/11
to seattle-arc...@googlegroups.com

What about changing the venue for the poetry reading, even if means adding an event? Possibly at Hugo House…possibly showcasing their archives and providing copies of the passport and information about the Fair?

Aug 24, 2011, 6:57:31 PM8/24/11
to seattle-arc...@googlegroups.com

At this point we don’t have a speaker, so maybe we could do the poetry reading instead. It is something that we could discuss at the planning meeting on September 1, 2011, 3:00 pm at NARA.

Deb

Jodee Fenton

Aug 24, 2011, 7:04:51 PM8/24/11
to seattle-arc...@googlegroups.com

Do we need a speaker?  Has Jack said no?

Jodee

Kennedy, Deborah

Aug 24, 2011, 7:14:29 PM8/24/11
to seattle-arc...@googlegroups.com

Another topic of discussion for the meeting. Jodee will you be able to attend?

Jodee Fenton

Aug 24, 2011, 7:18:16 PM8/24/11
to seattle-arc...@googlegroups.com

Sep 1 is a furlough day for the Library – we won’t be back to work until Sep 6th.  However, I’ll put this on my calendar and stay in touch with you all—it might be possible for me to pop over to NARA.

Here’s my cell phone 206 383-9016 and my home email

Jfen...@comcast.net

Should I be thinking of speakers?

Kennedy, Deborah

Aug 24, 2011, 7:22:44 PM8/24/11
to seattle-arc...@googlegroups.com

The last I heard Jack Hammon never responded to Candace’s inquiry. They did some brainstorming around speakers at the last meeting and some folks are looking for other speakers but we don’t have anyone definite yet and suggestions would be more that welcome.

Joshua Zimmerman

Aug 25, 2011, 1:19:33 PM8/25/11
to seattle-arc...@googlegroups.com
Anne,

Just what I was thinking!  Hugo House have a bar/staff/name recognition and a great zine collection to show off.  I'll get in tourch with my contact at ZAPP in the Hugo House.  I'm sure that passing out passports at HH would be no problem as long as ZAPP is on it.  Let me know if you or anyone else has any ideas for the event or know of any good contacts within HH OR any poets that would like to join in the fun.

I'll keep everyone up to date about the progress of this event.

Josh