Welcome to TSI's February 2009 Newsletter! While January
was mainly about releases like our ClubStead
design, new front page, and the Wired Magazine article, this month we focused on longer-term planning, from scheduling Ephemerisle
and the Seasteading09 conference to a 100-year timeline
for seasteading. Comment on this issue on the TSI blog here
- Membership Program is almost complete, will be kicked off in the next few weeks.
- $1000 Design Contest is running, and with two months to go, we are excited to already have 4 entries!
- TSI GTGs
- February Social
at Red Rock Cafe was excellent, about 25 people and many new faces
again. Moving the socials around the Bay Area seems to work well at
bringing a variety of different people.
- March Social - tentatively Saturday March 28th in the East Bay.
- Seasteading Conference / Ephemerisle:
- After some discussion and polling y'all, we decided against the
proposed July 4th date. Instead, the conference will be Sep. 28-30 (Mo
evening, full day Tuesday, Wed through dinner, location TBD), and Ephemerisle will be Fri Oct. 2 - Sun Oct 4 (in the Sacremento River Delta).
- This date allows everyone (including us) a bit more prep time, doesn't interfere with holiday plans, is a year from seasteading08, is a good time in relation to Burning Man
(long enough for people to have recovered, short enough for them to
still have some post-festival glow), and is during the full moon.
- The river delta location has a number of advantages, including that
it is already used frequently for (smaller) boating parties, so our use
will be uncontroversial. It is not a challenging environment (beyond
being on water) as there are few waves, but we think that's fine for
the first Ephemerisle. We will likely feature a prototype contest
during the festival for models able to deal with higher-wave conditions
than at the event. The hope is for these contest entrants of 2009 to
become the standard platforms/vessels of 2010, which would then be in a
tougher environment, and would again feature a contest for models to
push the boundaries again, so we can incrementally make our way to an
Ephemerisle in international waters over the course of 3-5 years.
- A full press release with more details will follow when we have a
conference site, festival location, and more details nailed down.
stats for February - January stats in (). We're very excited at the
continued rapid growth of the mailing list and registered website
- Website migrated to a new host which is faster and should be more reliable. Statistics:
- Again, our 2nd best traffic month ever, beating January and only exceeded by last May's slashdot/gizmodo/etc.
- Feb daily averages: 2400 visits (1900), 11k pages (10K), 102K hits (64K).
Interesting Blog Posts:
Volunteer Coordinator Report (from James)
Wayne's Engineering Report
Patri's Engineering Updates:
- Free Talk Live Interview.
- Upcoming stories in 2 major print outlets (6-figure and 7-figure circulation).
- TSI Talks & Conference Appearances for March and early April, from our public TSI Google Calendar (XML, iCal, HTML)
- CT - Wed, March 4 - Patri speaking to Yale College Libertarians.
7:30 EST, William L. Harkness Hall, Room 119, Yale University, New
Haven, CT, open to the public.
- NYC - Thu, March 5 - Social meetup open to all. 7PM EST onwards,
Gossip, 733 9th Avenue, New York, NY 10019, 212 265-2720,
gossip...@gmail.com, We have the 2nd floor to ourselves. Gossip is
on 9th Avenue, between 49th and 50th on the West side of 9th Ave.
Closest trains are the C/E to 50th St., followed by the 1/9 to 49th or
the N/R to 49th. Closest MTA Bus coming from the North or South is the
M11, closest from the East is the M49. Contact Guy Tower for more
information regarding transit or local food: longs...@hotmail.com
- NH - March 6 - 8: Patri at NH Liberty Forum, giving a talk Saturday at 11AM EST in the Main Hall. (You must pay to attend the event)
- MA - March 9th, social in Boston open to all. BOSTON BEER WORKS, 112 Canal Street, Boston, MA 02114, 7PM-10PM EST.
- Notable blog posts / referrers:
Administrative / Misc
- Our timeline for seasteading, while still under development, is ready for review by the community. Please discuss it on the forums. We are hard at work on our 2009/2010 strategy as well.
- We have started work on our 2008 Annual Report & Form 990 (tax return).
- Still muddling through HR details like an employee handbook.