Deadline for GSoD applications

Sharbatanu Chatterjee

Jun 5, 2020, 8:24:01 AM6/5/20
to Season of Docs - Discuss
Hi, I got to know about GSoD just recently, and I already contacted a couple of project organisations under INCF, and am working towards submitting my proposal.

However, I wanted to ensure whether I am eligible for GSoD before proceeding with an application. I have a visa to work in London till the end of October 2020, and am supposed to get a visa to start as a PhD student in Paris by September 2020. I shall hence technically be eligible to work in the country I am resident in during the period of the GSoD project (if selected), but it will be two different countries. I am not sure when I will get the visa, although the PhD position is guaranteed under a Horizon2020 EU grant, because of delays caused by the pandemic. I am pretty sure I'll be able to get a visa for Paris by September.

Would I still be eligible to apply?

Thanks,
Sharbat

Dashamir Hoxha

Jun 5, 2020, 9:10:49 AM6/5/20
to Sharbatanu Chatterjee, Season of Docs - Discuss
Maybe you can find the answer in the rules: https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/terms/program-rules
The relevant section reads like this:
  (ii) for the duration of the Program, be eligible to work in the country in which he or she resides;

The real question is: Will you have enough time to work both for the PhD and for the GSoD project?
The answer depends on the project and the organization to which you apply. For some it might be fine, some others might have higher expectations. It is an agreement between you.

Dashamir

Thanks,
Sharbat

Sharbatanu Chatterjee

Jun 5, 2020, 12:01:52 PM6/5/20
to Season of Docs - Discuss
Hi Dashamir,

Thanks for replying! I have indeed gone through the section which reads 'be eligible to work in the country in which he or she resides'. I know that the technical writer application form will only be available when the technical writer application phase starts on Monday, 9 June. I was guessing that if there is a place on that form to fill up my country of residence, would it allow me to mention both my current country of residence, where I'll be living (and have the right to work in) till October, and also add the possibility to mention that I am going to be living in France after I get a visa for France (and all of this has been delayed, with added uncertainty, because of the pandemic) sometime in September. If not, and if I just get to mention the UK, then technically, for the last bit of the GSoD timeline, I won't be living in the UK, and hence the question.

I have indeed been in talks with a couple of organisations, and will go over the responsibilities and my commitments, thanks for mentioning that. What I meant before when I said I am supposed to get a visa to start as a PhD student by September 2020, is that I'll be getting the visa by September 2020. I am free to choose my starting time, provided that it is before 1 December 2020, and that is what I plan to do!

I guess I'll wait for the application period to open and see if that solves my question!

Best,
Sharbat