What would participants from Season Of Docs 2019 recommend for 2020?

Cameron Shorter

Apr 10, 2020, 4:04:27 PM4/10/20
to Erin McKean, Season of Docs - Discuss
Erin, all,
I'd be keen to hear from Season of Docs 2019 participants about what worked and didn't work in their 2019 experience.
* What advice would this group want to pass onto the next season?
* What doc tasks did we find added the most value to our open source projects?
* What would we encourage be in the selection criteria for ideas in 2020?

I was one of the Season of Docs mentors and wrote a blog about our experience which was picked up by the opensource.org news site [1].

Highlights for me were:
* We got a lot of value by asking for a doc audit by our tech writers (we were lucky enough to have 2 writers).
* We found that having tech writers create writing templates for us amplified the effectiveness of our developers/users.
* We have kicked off TheGoodDocsProject [2] - creating doc templates for open source projects. While the project is still in early stages, we have put out an alpha set of templates. It would be good to have collaborators from other open source communities worth with us to refine and extend our template set.
* In retrospect, it would have been valuable to ask our tech writers for a documentation strategy which our volunteers could then work to. (This is likely more than a 3 month engagement could achieve, especially as I think it would require follow on mentorship afterwards.) However, it would be valuable to have a template strategy which we could put into TheGoodDocsProject and make available for all.

Warm regards,
Cameron Shorter
Admin and Mentor for the OSGeo Foundation's Season of Docs involvement.

On Wed, 8 Apr 2020 at 03:26, 'Erin McKean' via Season of Docs - Announce <season-of-d...@googlegroups.com> wrote:

Hi folks!

We’ll be hosting Q&A sessions via Google Hangouts to answer all of your Google Season of Docs organization application-related questions.

We’ve scheduled sessions for the following dates and times:

  • Monday, April 20th at 17h00 UTC

  • Monday, April 27th at 12h30 UTC

We'll have other sessions focused on the technical writer application questions in early summer, after the technical writer applications have opened.

To join the Hangout click the link below, or copy & paste it into your browser, 5 minutes prior to the start time: https://meet.google.com/nan-pidm-czp.

Send questions in advance!

Please feel free to send us your questions in advance via Dory, our Q&A tool.

In order to participate in the Season of Docs Dory, please be sure to join the season-of-docs-announce Google Group

You can edit or remove your Dory post at any time. (If you somehow lose access to the Dory and need help removing your post, please email us at season-of-d...@googlegroups.com and we’ll remove it on your behalf.)

Please follow the steps below if you have difficulty joining:

  1. Log into your Google account.

  2. New to Google Hangouts? Download this plug-in then restart your browser: https://www.google.com/tools/dlpage/hangoutplugin

  3. Join via this link: https://meet.google.com/nan-pidm-czp

Troubleshooting Tips:

  • We recommend joining via a Chrome web browser.

  • Follow the troubleshooting steps here.

  • Make sure you are signed into a Google account.

  • You may want to try entering with another Google account if all else fails.

Please email season-of-d...@googlegroups.com if you have problems entering the Hangout.

Best,

The Google Season of Docs Team

Cameron Shorter