Large foundation participation in GSoD

Ali Ok

Mar 15, 2023, 4:55:01 PM3/15/23
to season-of-d...@googlegroups.com, Nate Waddington, season-...@google.com

Hi,

What would be the preferred GSoD path for a large organization like CNCF with multiple sub-organizations/sub-projects/sub-communities?

There is a FAQ entry about this situation, but it might be outdated.

https://developers.google.com/season-of-docs/docs/faq#can_an_organization_submit_more_than_one_proposal_application

Q: Can an organization submit more than one proposal application?
A: No. Please only submit one application per organization. If your organization has sub-organizations (for example, your organization is a foundation with many individual open source projects) each project should submit their own application, even if the grant funds would be handled by the umbrella organization.

I understand the point here. However, how can the sub-organizations select CNCF as the umbrella organization? I checked the organization application form and saw no umbrella organization input.

For example, if we have three proposals from sub-organizations, what would be the best path:

  • Select one as the CNCF proposal
    • would the other two still be able to apply on their own?
  • Ask all three sub-orgs to submit on their own?
  • What about the umbrella organization path mentioned above?

Thanks,
Ali

Nate Waddington

Mar 15, 2023, 5:09:46 PM3/15/23
to Erin McKean, Ali Ok, season-of-d...@googlegroups.com
Hi Erin,

Thanks for that, we'll ask our projects to apply individually.

What does the CNCF need to do to apply as an Organization then? How do we become an option for the project to select?

Cheers,
Nate

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 1:59 PM Erin McKean <emc...@google.com> wrote:
Thanks Ali!

We still ask that each project apply separately; if a project is selected, they can choose CNCF as their payment option with Open Collective when we begin setting up grant payments.

Projects can feel free to add in their application that payments would be handled via CNCF but that's not a factor in our decision making for what projects to accept.

I hope this helps!

Yours,

Erin

Erin McKean | Docs Advocacy Program Manager, Open Source Programs Office | emc...@google.com | she/her

Nate Waddington

Mar 15, 2023, 5:27:03 PM3/15/23
to Erin McKean, Ali Ok, season-of-d...@googlegroups.com
Great, thanks for the info!

On Wed, Mar 15, 2023 at 2:18 PM Erin McKean <emc...@google.com> wrote:
Thanks Nate!

I believe the CNCF already has an Open Collective organization set up, so you may not have to do anything. :)  If the CNCF is not already set up to receive funds through Open Collective, we'll send out instructions to the accepted orgs that they can pass along.

When we send funds via Open Collective we do indicate which project the funds are for, but it would be up to the CNCF to work with the projects to make sure that the technical writers are paid in a timely manner out of the CNCF Open Collective account, if the project admins don't have access.

Thanks!

Erin