Org admin allowed to hire self as tech writer?

Sumana Harihareswara

Mar 16, 2023, 11:22:17 AM3/16/23
to Season of Docs - Discuss
Is it allowed for the tech writer hired to be one of the project's organizational administrators?

I have read the rules, FAQs, and guides. I saw that the org has complete control over choosing and hiring the writer. The only relevant guidance I saw:

> Can my organization use the Google Season of Docs grant to pay a current contributor?

> Yes. However, project proposals must be for new work (including maintenance work, revision, or upgrades to existing documentation). You may not apply for a grant to be used to pay for already-completed work.

I believe I didn't see any restriction barring an org admin from hiring themselves as a technical writer, and just want to confirm that.

Thank you,
Sumana Harihareswara

Sumana Harihareswara

Mar 16, 2023, 12:54:53 PM3/16/23
to Season of Docs - Discuss
Forwarding a response from Erin since the list evidently hasn't yet accepted it:

"Hi Sumana!

Yes, there's no restriction—the org admin can hire themselves as a
technical writer, although if the org is a single person it's unlikely that
the org would be accepted into the program. :)

For governance reasons, we strongly suggest that there be a transparent
public record of the org's decision to participate in Season of Docs and to
hire the org admin as the technical writer for the program.

I hope this helps!

Yours,

Erin"