Extra: A great video showing SearchResearch Skills!

Dan Russell

May 17, 2022, 2:33:09 PM5/17/22
to searchresearch-we...@googlegroups.com

Superb example of SearchResearch... in Algeria

 I have a wonderful video I want to recommend to you.  It's about what this mysterious circle of circles is...

In this video from Vox, they explore the limits of what you can find by internet searching, and go beyond the limit when they realize that they'll have to visit this site in person.  It's not exactly around the corner: it's at 27.270161, 4.322245, which is, you'll quickly realize, in the middle of the formidable Algerian desert.

The key question is: When / what / who made these circles in the (literal) middle of nowhere?

I didn't expect to watch this entire video, but it is well worth the time.  In it, the researchers do all of the things you'd expect from a SearchResearch Challenge (finding original sources, locating experts, contacting them, etc).  It's a wonderfully produced video that lays out their research process step-by-step.  Check it out, and tell me if you're not pulled into the mystery after the first 30 seconds.

Bravo, Vox!  Bravo!

Vox's video: Who made these circles in the desert?

Search on!

--
Daniel M. Russell
Check out my new book:  The Joy of Search (MIT Press, Winter, 2019)