Rails 3

bronson

Jan 27, 2010, 11:47:56 AM1/27/10
to Searchlogic
Just curious about Searchlogic and Rails 3. At first glance it seems
like a big job to port it to the new ActiveRecord, and with ARel
compositions there might be less of a need for it.

Has anyone looked into this yet?

Ben Johnson

Jan 27, 2010, 11:59:19 AM1/27/10
to searc...@googlegroups.com
I hope it makes searchlogic smaller. ActiveRecord as it stands is pretty bad when it comes to building complex queries, so something like this will be good. That said, we'll see where it goes, in my opinion the whole point of searchlogic is to easily build filters and search forms. It doesn't look like there is going to be anything for this. But the named scopes that searchlogic uses might be able to leverage some of this new functionality instead of automatically having to create its own named scopes.

Ben Johnson
Binary Logic

W: www.binarylogic.com
E: bjoh...@binarylogic.com

Scott Bronson

Jan 30, 2010, 12:17:33 PM1/30/10
to searc...@googlegroups.com
This makes sense.

I really like how searchlogic lets me bang out 90% of the queries I
need just by stringing together a few underscores. After a closer
look it appears that AR has gotten a lot better but it doesn't go this
far.

I'm short on time these days but, when the Rails3 port starts, I'm
totally there to help out. These should be fun times.

- Scott

Ben Johnson

Jan 31, 2010, 3:32:27 PM1/31/10
to searc...@googlegroups.com
Yeah, I hope rails creeps into searchlogic a little bit. I think what they are doing makes perfect sense. They need a better set of base tools for handling scopes. But I dont think it will ever go as far as search logic because searchlogic doesnt provide core features. If you want it, just add it on via a gem. I also feel like this is the new mentality behind rails 3 anyways. Less is more. My point is that some of the new features in rails3 might make searchlogic smaller, but I think rails and searchlogic will coexist for a long time coming.

Ben Johnson
Binary Logic

W: www.binarylogic.com
E: bjoh...@binarylogic.com