Searchguard setting were not applied in Kibana Error

Aleksei Saiko

Mar 11, 2019, 9:08:00 AM3/11/19
to Search Guard Community Forum
When asking questions, please provide the following information:

* Search Guard and Elasticsearch version
SG=6.5.1-24.1
ES=6.5.1

* JVM version and operating system version
JVM=1.8.0_162
OS=Ubuntu 18.04.1 LTS

* Search Guard configuration files
from elastisearch.yml
searchguard.ssl.transport.pemcert_filepath: es-encr-001.pem
searchguard.ssl.transport.pemkey_filepath: es-encr-001.key
searchguard.ssl.transport.pemkey_password: aqTmoD7aBrpX
searchguard.ssl.transport.pemtrustedcas_filepath: root-ca.pem
searchguard.ssl.transport.enforce_hostname_verification: false
searchguard.ssl.transport.resolve_hostname: false
searchguard.ssl.http.enabled: false
searchguard.ssl.http.pemcert_filepath: es-encr-001_http.pem
searchguard.ssl.http.pemkey_filepath: es-encr-001_http.key
searchguard.ssl.http.pemkey_password: raAtcE0mTfuk
searchguard.ssl.http.pemtrustedcas_filepath: root-ca.pem
searchguard.nodes_dn:
- CN=es-encr-001.XXXX.com,OU=IL,O=xxxx Com\, Inc.,DC=XXXX,DC=com
- CN=es-necr-002.XXXX.com,OU=IL,O=xxxx Com\, Inc.,DC=XXXX,DC=com
- CN=es-necr-003.XXXX.com,OU=IL,O=xxxx Com\, Inc.,DC=XXXX,DC=com
searchguard.authcz.admin_dn:
- CN=kirk.XXXX.com,OU=IL,O=XXXX Com\, Inc.,DC=XXXX,DC=com
"elasticsearch.yml" 115L, 4129C

sg_config.yml

searchguard:
  dynamic:
    http:
      anonymous_auth_enabled: false
      xff:
        internalProxies:  '10.xxx.xx.xx' #kibana's IP
        remoteIpHeader:  'x-forwarded-for'
        proxiesHeader:   'x-forwarded-by'
       proxy_auth_domain:
        http_enabled: true
        transport_enabled: true
        order: 3
        http_authenticator:
          type: proxy
          challenge: false
          config:
            user_header: "x-proxy-user"
            roles_header: "x-proxy-roles"
        authentication_backend:
          type: noop
     basic_internal_auth_domain:
        http_enabled: true
        transport_enabled: true
        order: 4
        http_authenticator:
          type: basic
          challenge: false
        authentication_backend:
          type: intern

Kibana.yml:
---
# Default Kibana configuration from kibana-docker.
server.port: 5601
server.host: "0.0.0.0"
server.name: "kibana"
elasticsearch.requestTimeout: 100000
elasticsearch.username: "admin"
elasticsearch.password: "admin"
searchguard.auth.type: "proxy"
searchguard.proxycache.user_header: x-proxy-user
# The header that identifies the user's role(s) - (required, no default)
searchguard.proxycache.roles_header: x-proxy-roles
# HTTP header field which the proxy uses to forward the IP chain to the endpoint, usually x-forwarded-for.
# (optional, default: x-forwarded-for)
#searchguard.proxycache.proxy_header: x-forwarded-for
# IP where Kibana is running on - (required, no default)
# Used to add it to the x-forwarded-for IP chain (see above)
# This IP must be added as trusted IP in sg_config.yml under
# searchguard.dynamic.http.xff.internalProxies.
# It's also possible to us a environment variable here like ${IP_ADDRESS}
searchguard.proxycache.proxy_header_ip: "10.xxx.xx.xx"
# Redirect to this URL if the user isn't authenticated - (optional, no default)
#searchguard.proxycache.login_endpoint: "https://login.sso.company.com"
searchguard.basicauth.enabled: false
elasticsearch.requestHeadersWhitelist: [ "Authorization", "sgtenant", "x-forwarded-for", "x-proxy-user", "x-proxy-roles" ]

* Elasticsearch log messages on debug level
FATAL  Error: "searchguard.auth.type", "searchguard.proxycache.user_header", "searchguard.proxycache.roles_header", and "searchguard.proxycache.proxy_header_ip" settings were not applied. Check for spelling errors and ensure that expected plugins are installed.

Hi there,
I installed SG on ELK with the mentioned versions.
It seems working great.
Now, I'm using Lasso (Vouch Proxy) for oauth.
So after authorization via Lasso , I have a pop-up for authorization with SG, and I want to use only Lasso authorization.
I'm receiving this error when running Kibana on K8S - "FATAL  Error: "searchguard.auth.type", "searchguard.proxycache.user_header", "searchguard.proxycache.roles_header", and "searchguard.proxycache.proxy_header_ip" settings were not applied. Check for spelling errors and ensure that expected plugins are installed."

Do I have to install SG plugin for Kibana? If yes, do you have a Dockerfile to install Kibana with SG? Also, does this plugin is a free trial?

Thanks,

Aleksei

Jochen Kressin

Mar 12, 2019, 1:30:37 PM3/12/19
to Search Guard Community Forum
Hi,

yes, you need to install the SG Kibana plugin, otherwise there are no security features available.

Search Guard comes with a 60 day trial license which is acticated automatically on startup / SG initialization. All features are fully functioning, and we are happy to send you a trial extension should you need more time for your PoC.

We do not maintain Dockerfiles at the moment, but you can checkout this very good repository here:

Also, if you are running Search Guard on K8S you might be interested in our Helm charts:

They include the Elasticsearch and the Kibana plugin.

Aleksei Saiko

Mar 14, 2019, 11:46:55 AM3/14/19
to Search Guard Community Forum
Hi Jochen,
Thx for your answer.
After the 60 day trial, will Kibana plugin becoming  non-free?

Thx

SG

Mar 17, 2019, 1:22:19 PM3/17/19
to search...@googlegroups.com
After the 60 days trial Kibana will warn you that you need to obtain and install a license.
If you do not want to buy the enterprise license that disable the enterprise features and the warning will disappear.

To see which feature is Enterprise or Community pls have a look here:
https://search-guard.com/product/

Kibana Plugin itself is licensed under Apache 2 so the Kibana plugin does never become non-free.
If you disable the enterprise features some menu items will disappear.

Pls refer to https://docs.search-guard.com/latest/search-guard-community-edition how to disable the enterprise features.

Aleksei Saiko

Mar 21, 2019, 10:02:43 AM3/21/19
to search...@googlegroups.com