KCRW Radio Interview -3/88

jeff

Nov 24, 2022, 7:06:13 AM11/24/22
to seance-list
.
Happy Thanksgiving: below is a lovely link to a radio interview with the seminal radio DJ Deirdre O’Donoghue and her SNAP program
.
The group was in Los Angeles and promoting Starfish or ‘Jellyfish’ as Steve says.. lovely acoustic renditions of the songs..

Enjoy and pass it on.

.

Daniel Watkins

Nov 24, 2022, 9:51:09 AM11/24/22
to ja...@earthlink.net, seance-list
A great show! I'm so glad this is out there now.

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPhone

Edgar Aldrett

Nov 24, 2022, 10:12:48 AM11/24/22
to Jeff, seance-list
Thank you Jeff for posting!

Finally we get an upgrade to this interview. I've been reaching out to KCRW to get a copy of this interview for decades. I had recorded this on cassette from the live radio broadcast so I had a first gen copy but it was stolen from my car along with numerous other cassettes of live shows.
I was happy to see this get bootlegged onto CD under the title Acoustic Sermon but never managed to find a copy of it. I did get a CDR copy and was able to listen to the quality. A cassette rip was the source. Still hoped that KCRW would someday release it in high quality.
This interview was conducted the day after the L.A. premiere of Starfish, or industry showcase, at the Roxy on March 23, 1988, see review from L.A. Times below. I managed to take photos at the show which I will share later. Still have the poster and ticket stub. This show was the most solid I'd ever hear the Church and Kilbey's voice was on fire. I wish this show would show up in the tapehead market but so far nothing. It was recorded by someone that I saw in the audience.
A tidbit. People, mainly young boy fans, kept yelling out the guys names to the point of annoyance during the show that I joined in yelling "Jimmy!" to throw them off which it worked. Some folk did stop yelling and looked at me confused, as did Steve, Marty, and particularly Peter. I really do wish a copy of this show surfaces. :)

Thanks again, Jeff! You made my year!

Now to indulge on some "scintillating" conversation.

Ed
Seattle

Church Has a Distinctive Mix of Elements

By Steve Hochman

(Los Angeles Times - March 25, 1988)

  Singer/bassist Steve Kilbey of the Church joked around with the title of his band's latest album, "Starfish," Wednesday [March 23] at the Roxy, first refering [sic] to it as "Swordfish," then "Catfish" and later "Jellyfish." Though he was just having some fun with all the people at the show from Arista Records whose job it is to sell the record, these alternative tags were actually quite appropriate for this concert in which the band sounded razor sharp, quite nimble—and even sometimes dreamily gelatinous—rather than starry and clean like on the record.

  The aggressively muscular approach taken by the Australian quartet Wednesday proved a much more effective vehicle for the literate, flowery imagery of such songs as "North, South, East and West," and "Under the Milky Way" than the often sterile sound of the nonetheless meritorious new album. And the wry Kilbey not only was an effective singer/frontman, but teamed with drummer Richard Ploog, providing a solid bed for the alternately distorted and brittle guitar playing of Peter Koppes and Marty Willson-Piper's.

  Less overtly psychedelic than on vinyl, the Church didn't seem exactly original (reference points range from the Kinks to old Pink Floyd to Robyn Hitchcock and, on "Bel Air," even a touch of Bob Dylan), but the particular blend of elements is distinctive. And when the band cranked it up for such older material as the sinewy "Shadow Cabinet: and the crunching "Tantalise," [sic] the music sounded like surfing on a tidal wave.

Daniel Watkins

Nov 24, 2022, 10:48:25 AM11/24/22
to eald...@gmail.com, Jeff, seance-list
Ed, thanks for that info and context. Very cool.