14,600 Nights of Space RocknRoll

Greg Hatmaker

Feb 2, 2020, 3:16:22 PM2/2/20
to Seance List - The Church

I assume most still subscribed have already seen this elsewhere, but for those who haven't, this popped into my mailbox the other day.

14,600 Nights of Space RocknRoll

the first 40 years....

A band is like a family and over 40 years it is only natural that families will change and that members will come and go. Therefore it is with great sadness that we must announce the departure of Peter Koppes from our ranks to explore his own musical path. Peter has made the hugest contribution to the Church's sound and he will be sorely missed. However the remaining members have decided to carry on with this immense body of work which Peter, as well as Richard Ploog, Jay dee Daugherty and of course Marty Willson-Piper, have been invaluable in creating.

We wish Peter all the success with whatever he pursues from now on.

The good news is The Church are delighted to announce Jeffrey Cain will be staying on as a permanent member with Ian Haug and Tim Powles and we are very happy to welcome Melbournian guitar slinger Ashley Naylor into the band.

We are already under way creating a brand new album which so far is turning out to be a beautiful thing.

Steve Kilbey
Coogee
01.02.2020

Andre McMillan

Feb 2, 2020, 4:27:03 PM2/2/20
to gregh...@b2b2c.ca, Seance List - The Church
That was depressing to hear. I had been very excited to see what would evolve with J Cain in the band. I still am, but had really hoped it would include Peter.

Hope it’s a short hiatus.

Scott

Feb 2, 2020, 4:28:18 PM2/2/20
to gregh...@b2b2c.ca, Seance List - The Church

Yes Greg, very sad news indeed about Peter.  I guess my reaction toward a new “Church” album is met with a bit of, for a better lack of a word, “trepidation”? I mean without both Marty and now Peter in the band is it really a “Church” album???  The good news is that at this point I consider Tim as much of a founding member as Richard was and in my mind the band would not still be around if it weren’t for Tim kind of holding things together in the mid to late 90’s.  This was a time when Peter made his first departure from the band and I believe it was Tim who was the glue which held Marty and Steve together during the making of SA/SE.  He pretty much was the producer in most of the bands output during this time and I believe he may have convinced Peter to reenter the fold. They made some truly great albums after his entrance into the band.  Of course I will still support both the band and any solo/collaborative efforts from all members.  It will truly be a different feeling with “The Band” however.

P.S. OH MY GAWD A SÉANCE EMAIL!”

Scott

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Dan Helgerman

Feb 3, 2020, 1:32:26 PM2/3/20
to raiderlover, gregh...@b2b2c.ca, Seance List - The Church
Good to see the email list active again. I'm so old it is really my preferred source of information. PK news caught me off guard as well as the 40th anniversary, however I could have figured that one out.

Other info that's pretty new to me: PK has a project called Syncretism due out soon.
Ploog's Groom Epoch had a new album last year.
And SK has 2 collaborations, one with Gareth Koch out now on bandcamp and the other with Kate Ceberrano due out soon.

Hope to see a US tour this summer or fall. Glad to see Tim has recovered. Another tour and album is more than we could ask for, it could be much worse.

--
--Dan

Andre McMillan

Feb 3, 2020, 1:42:16 PM2/3/20
to Dan Helgerman, raiderlover, gregh...@b2b2c.ca, Seance List - The Church
Thanks for the information, good to know.

I heard UTMW on a commercial bumper during the Super Bowl yesterday. Wish it would've went on a bit longer.

Scott

Feb 3, 2020, 8:35:07 PM2/3/20
to helge...@gmail.com, gregh...@b2b2c.ca, Seance List - The Church

Yes Dan, I certainly miss the days of Séance Emails.  It was such a great community and I was able to make some nice connections with Church fans.  I remember the days of Mark Piscotty (sp?), Vic Gagnon, the K&K girls, Chrispy (who I am a facebook friend with and only lives about 3 hours from me in good ole Rochester NY) and the man who started this whole thread Mr. Hatmaker himself.  You still in the Montreal area Greg?  The Facebook Church page just doesn’t have the same homey feel that the good old Séance Email group did.

Scott

Sent: Monday, February 3, 2020 1:32 PM
To: raiderlover

Alan Cowsill

Feb 4, 2020, 4:24:08 PM2/4/20
to raide...@citlink.net, helge...@gmail.com, gregh...@b2b2c.ca, Seance List - The Church
Nice to see the emails coming through again. Shame about Peter leaving. I'm still not quite use to seeing them without Marty. At the same time it might make for a good album. I've really enjoyed the last two. Starting to remind me of the line up changes of some heavy metal bands I used to follow like Whitesnake, where the guitarists used to change on an almost regular basis! :)

Good to hear Jeff Cain's still involved. Loved the Isadore album so hope he's taking party on some of the song-writing for the next album. Interested to see what happens next. And watching them in London... just wish they were going to come back and do the weekender they were supposed to last year. I was looking forward to seeing them do Seance.

Anyone know much about the new guitarist?

Alan

Nick Peters

Feb 4, 2020, 6:56:32 PM2/4/20
to gregh...@b2b2c.ca, Seance List - The Church
Reading between the lines over on Facebook, it seems like PK left quite a few months ago and all parties have been sitting on the news, for whatever reason.

Some random thoughts:
  • The band is now officially a five piece for the first time.
  • PK was the band's Lindsey Buckingham, in that it's taken an antipodean and an American to replace him.
  • Ian Haug is now the longest standing guitarist in the band. He's also the longest standing Australian-born member of the band.
  • It's been 7 years since Marty last played with The Church. Eleven years since he was on a Church album. Where did that time go?
  • In the last 10 years the band have had more new members than new albums.
  • The average age of the members is now about five year's younger, so at least in that sense the band has been rejuvenated.
Nice to see some activity on the list again. Facebook pretty good for getting info, but really difficult to have any kind of nuanced conversation about the band over there.

-Nick

Daniel Watkins

Feb 4, 2020, 7:25:02 PM2/4/20
to nape...@gmail.com, gregh...@b2b2c.ca, Seance List - The Church
Good points made :D

And good to hear from you guys!

Dw

Chris Barrus

Feb 6, 2020, 1:07:15 AM2/6/20
to Seance List
Like a returning comet, the list activates… Hi everyone!

So over on Facebook, it seems that Steve is taking on everyone. From https://www.facebook.com/thechurchband/photos/a.10151876536906046/10156570000881046

"People questioning my integrity and my right to call my band the church should bear in mind that I wrote approx 90 per cent of all guitar parts on first 4 albums other than the actual solos. Seance is virtually a solo album as far as the writing of it. I have never been merely the bass player.”

There’s 160 comments in follow-up if you want to get into the fray.