Future of Seajure

Alex Engelberg

Apr 25, 2016, 9:44:38 PM4/25/16
to sea...@googlegroups.com
Hi everybody,

A couple important issues I've noticed over the last couple months:

1) There's some confusion for new folks who stumble upon our Meetup page because there is no permanent location anymore.

2) Brad Bowman (former owner of the Seajure Meetup page) informed me that the paid subscription to the Seajure account is going to run out on May 14, and because he moved away from Seattle he will not continue paying for it. I believe the current "Unlimited plan" costs $90 every six months. Unknown if there exist cheaper plans acceptable for the size of our group.

3) We currently don't have an official Seajure leader that can decide on temporary locations (coffee shops, etc) or otherwise solve these types of problems. As I haven't been able to attend any Seajure meetups for the last few months (nor can I consistently attend in the future), I see myself as a poor candidate for this.

I chatted with some Seajurites at Clojure/West last weekend about these issues. As for #1, I've heard some murmurs from people in the Seattle area potentially willing to host through their company:
  • Derek Slager, Amperity
  • Arnab Deka, Amazon
  • Alex McNamara, Outreach
We could also alternate between a subset of these (e.g. we used to alternate between Cloudant and Zoka). I hope one of those people or someone else I didn't list can step up soon to get the Seajure location back on track.

For #2, in order to keep our Meetup events around someone (or their employer) will need to continue to fund it. Another (perhaps better) option is to switch to a different event site. Someone (I forgot his name, sorry) at Clojure/West noted that eventbrite would be an alternative that is free.

And for #3, I believe Stan Dyck offered to temporarily manage the group to figure out meeting spots; are you still interested in that, Stan?

Any further input on those issues from anybody is welcomed and desired.

Thanks!
--Alex

brad bowman

May 1, 2016, 3:06:53 AM5/1/16
to sea...@googlegroups.com

Thanks for following up Alex.

In Melbourne there was a collection at the meet up fee and pizza fund. Another option to consider.

Let me know how it unfolds,

Brad (now in Berlin)

Alex Engelberg

May 4, 2016, 7:13:13 PM5/4/16
to sea...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

Amperity has graciously offered to host tomorrow's meetup. Derek says he is willing to have Amperity be a recurring host, especially if another company can also volunteer to host and alternate the location.

More details on the Meetup page: http://www.meetup.com/Seajure/events/229310445

--Alex

brad bowman

May 14, 2016, 5:55:58 PM5/14/16
to Seajure

I've added Derek and Arnab as Co-organizers on Meetup
(also Esteban since he was active organizing a Clojure group in the past).

I think "Unlimited" is our only option.  I've switched it to monthly and will pay from May 14th to June
(since I didn't sort this out in time).  There are tools for tracking and sharing costs, if that is useful.

Derek, do you wish to be the nominated Organizer (the money guy)?

I'll also post this information as a meetup thread.

Brad