If you were hiring a js dev, or you were a dev looking to do js dev...

Adron Hall

Oct 27, 2011, 11:10:33 AM10/27/11
to Seattle Javascript Workshop Hacknight
Let's say someone is looking to join a dev group building JavaScript
Awesomeness. What are some of the key characteristics that you look
for in that individual? Understanding of core js concepts, language
elements, library usage, or other things? What are some of the key
social or team interactions of this individual that are desired?

On the other hand, what are some of the key things that a
JavaScripting Dev would look for in a team? If you were going into an
interview or looking for a company to work for, and wanted to focus on
js dev, what would you look for?

Cheers!
Adron Hall

Grant Goodale

Oct 27, 2011, 12:16:12 PM10/27/11
to sea...@googlegroups.com
    I've been thinking about this a fair amount lately as I build our front-end team (more on that below).  Here's my take:

   * core language concepts: scoping and closure, anonymous functions, event handling, classical vs. prototypical OO, good fundamental js design skills

   * production environments and techniques: browser variance, performance characterization,  async script loading, AJAX, JSON/JSONP (and why the latter matters)

   * Libraries: I don't care which libraries someone uses if they can explain why based on the merits of the library or needs of the project. I'd hope for the same from a good candidate.

   * Team: js developers are developers just like any other, and should hold themselves to the same standards. I expect well-tested, well-documented code, participation in code reviews, and a desire to work with people who feel strongly about both.  Good candidates should care about their code enough to want to stand up in front of their peers and explain why their code is awesome (and accept constructive criticism until it is).

THE PITCH:

If all of that sounds good, and you'd like to be part of a company that will be  using every new js technology in the book in the next 6 months, drop me a line atgr...@massivelyfun.com and let's talk.  Our goal is to be the best HTML5-based game studio on the planet, we have some amazing titles lined up and more clients than time.

Autocorrected on iPhone.  Pease excuse toys.

Ploeger, K

Oct 27, 2011, 2:52:19 PM10/27/11
to sea...@googlegroups.com
From a developer's standpoint looking to join a team:

Would want to make sure the development team are adhering to good coding
practices (documentation, unit testing, versioning) and is writing solid
code. Anyone can attach a few behaviors to a static website, but few really
think about the JavaScript portion being an application that can be designed
as well. While not every project requires this level of detail, it'd be nice
if the shop had the capability to do this when needed.

And if JavaScript is your first language, a place with solid programming
will benefit you when needing to do something with a server-side language.

Best Wishes,

Ken

--
Ken Ploeger