Old Steel Joists

Doug Mayer

Aug 26, 2009, 3:01:07 PM8/26/09
to sea...@seaint.org

I’m trying to find some information on some old open-web steel joists (circa 1960) and designated as “12H3”.  I’m specifically trying to determine what kind of chord and web sections this joist is comprised of and any other information would be helpful.  I’ve done some googling, but to no avail.  If you have any info regarding this type of joist I would really appreciate it.

TIA,

Doug Mayer, SE

Structural Engineer

Mike Jones

Aug 26, 2009, 4:36:44 PM8/26/09
to sea...@seaint.org
Doug,

I don't have access to the book (at least not easily) but I've seen a book put out by the SJI that has tables and such for the older joist systems.  I _thought_ it had some rules of thumb for chord and web member sizes, but I could be wrong.  It appears as if the SJI, is still a bit behinds the times when offering it's literature.  You can only purchase a CD of the book.

My manager is out of the office today, but I'll ask him tomorrow if he's got a copy of Technical Digest #7 (seems like it's no longer available).

Link to the SJI (behind the times) website... https://www.steeljoist.org/publications/default.asp

Decent thread from the archive...

I guess visiting the site and measuring the joists is not possible?

Mike

Michelle Motchos

Aug 26, 2009, 5:02:07 PM8/26/09
to sea...@seaint.org
Looks like the first H's show up in the 61-71 load tables.  They indicate a moment capacity of 140000 in-lbs, and a max end reaction of 3200lb. This is from SJI's joist digest #7

-Michelle

Aug 26, 2009, 5:06:02 PM8/26/09
to sea...@seaint.org

Michelle,

Does it indicate the sectional make-up of the joist?  Double angles for chords?    Thanks for the help.

Doug Mayer, SE

Structural Engineer

Kipp Martin

Aug 26, 2009, 5:21:01 PM8/26/09
to sea...@seaint.org
Doug,

I sent an email directly to you that had some attachments.  If you haven't received, you may need to check you spam filter.

--Kipp Martin, P. E., S. E.
  Carollo Engineers
  Portland, Oregon

Aug 26, 2009, 5:25:08 PM8/26/09
to sea...@seaint.org

Doug Mayer, SE

Structural Engineer

TaylorTeter

Partnership

7535 North Palm Ave., Suite 201

Fresno, CA 93711

(559) 437-0887 Ph.

(559) 438-7554 Fax

doug....@taylorteter.com

www.taylorteter.com

Stuart, Matthew

Aug 26, 2009, 6:35:08 PM8/26/09
to sea...@seaint.org
Let me suggest that you read my recent article on older joists including those not documented in the SJI published historical data:

http://structuremag.org/Archives/2009-6/C-EngrNotebook-Antiquated9a-Stuart-June-09.pdf

If you find your joist described in the tables provided along with the article contact directly me because it is very likely that I have the load tables for the product which I obtained directly from SJI.

Senior Project Manager

Structural Department

Associate

Engineers and Consultants - CMX <https://mail.cmxengineering.com/exchweb/bin/redir.asp?URL=http://www.cmxengineering.com/index.htm>

200 Route 9

Manalapan, NJ 07726

732-577-9000 (Ext. 308)

908-309-8657 (Cell)

732-298-9441 (Fax)

mst...@CMXEngineering.com

winmail.dat

Harold Sprague

Aug 26, 2009, 6:54:23 PM8/26/09
to sea...@seaint.org
Doug,
The H series replaced the J series and basically was 50 grade steel in lieu of the 36 grade steel.  The chord make up depends on the manufacturer.  Armco manufactured a cold formed hat section.  Vulcraft manufactured double angle chords.  Steel Joist of Indiana manufactured a cold formed section that was very strange.

Regards, Harold Sprague

Date: Wed, 26 Aug 2009 14:06:02 -0700
From: doug....@taylorteter.com
To: sea...@seaint.org

Stuart, Matthew

Aug 26, 2009, 7:06:59 PM8/26/09
to sea...@seaint.org
H & J series joists also have an atypical shear capacity envelope.

________________________________

Regards, Harold Sprague

________________________________

Michelle,

Doug Mayer, SE

Structural Engineer

-Michelle

________________________________

TIA,

Doug Mayer, SE

Structural Engineer

________________________________

Windows Live: Keep your friends up to date with what you do online. Find out more. <http://windowslive.com/Campaign/SocialNetworking?ocid=PID23285::T:WLMTAGL:ON:WL:en-US:SI_SB_online:082009>

winmail.dat

fsra...@aol.com

Nov 30, 2009, 4:32:49 PM11/30/09
to sea...@seaint.org
Just testing.

Farzin S. Rahbar, SE
Vice President
David C. Weiss Structural Engineer & Associates, Inc.
(818) 227-8040 Ex. 13 Fax: (818) 227-8041