Steel roof deck attached using screws

Drew Morris

Nov 20, 2009, 6:09:26 PM11/20/09
to SEAINT
Does anyone know of a steel roof deck manufacturer (1 1/2" 18 ga) that
has ICC approval for steel deck fastened to W beams using screws? I can
find reports of decks attached with spot welds and powder actuated
fasteners.

*
*
* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*
* Questions to seai...@seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* site at: http://www.seaint.org

Glenn Otto

Nov 20, 2009, 6:46:16 PM11/20/09
to sea...@seaint.org
I don't know about ICC approval but United Steel Deck catalog discusses
screws along with welds. I would think screws would be acceptable if PAF's
are. The screws have a large head than many of PAF's. The PAF's sometimes
bounce rather than penetrate according to one craftsman (operator issue.)
Hilti and the Steel Stud Manufacturers have values for screws and welds for
light gage metal thicknesses to "heavy gage" steel.

Glenn C. Otto, P.E.
A Structural Engineer, P.C.
Virginia Beach, VA 23454
www.astructuralengineeronline.com