Tsunami!

Bill Polhemus

Nov 18, 2009, 5:06:03 PM11/18/09
to sea...@seaint.org
Does anyone here know of ANY criteria related to design of marine and
coastal protection for tsunamis?

(And no, I'm not joking; a client has asked the question).

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Via iPhone 3G

*
*
* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
*
* Questions to seai...@seaint.org. Remember, any email you
* site at: http://www.seaint.org

Jeremy White

Nov 18, 2009, 5:23:56 PM11/18/09
to sea...@seaint.org

This is a free resource:

http://www.fema.gov/library/viewRecord.do?id=3463

It includes:  tsunami depth and velocity; different options for tsunami vertical evacuation structures; guidance on siting, spacing, sizing, and elevation considerations; determining tsunami and earthquake loads and related structural design criteria; and structural design concepts and other considerations.

Hope it helps.

- Jeremy

Quoting Bill Polhemus <bi...@polhemus.cc>:

> Does anyone here know of ANY criteria related to design of marine and
> coastal protection for tsunamis?
>
> (And no, I'm not joking; a client has asked the question).
>
> William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
> Via iPhone 3G

> *   Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp

> **   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers*   Association
> of Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To*   subscribe (no fee) or

> UnSubscribe, please go to:
> *
> *   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *

> *   Questions to seai...@seaint.org. Remember, any email you*   send
> to the list is public domain and may be re-posted*   without your

> permission. Make sure you visit our web*   site at:

> http://www.seaint.org******* ****** ****** ****** ******* ****** ******
> ********

David L. Fisher

Nov 18, 2009, 5:19:07 PM11/18/09
to sea...@seaint.org
Made me jump, Bill...!

David L. Fisher SE PE
Senior Principal

Fisher and Partners
372 West Ontario
Suite 301
Chicago 60654

312.622.0409 (m)
312.573.1701
312.573.1726 (f)

www.fpse.com

Gerard Madden, SE

bi...@polhemus.cc

Nov 18, 2009, 5:51:14 PM11/18/09
to sea...@seaint.org
Yeah, flood's good, but you just can't beat a 50-foot wall of water coming down on an unsuspecting beach crowd for sheer fun!

Gerard Madden, SE

Nov 18, 2009, 6:04:20 PM11/18/09
to sea...@seaint.org
Well, the first thing to figure out if the Tsumani can even hit your site, it may only cause flooding...

If you're trying to make a protection wall or something, then that's likely not in any code.

William...@ch2m.com

Nov 18, 2009, 6:15:11 PM11/18/09
to sea...@seaint.org
I haven't seen the specific criteria, but I know that along the Oregon coast some government structures are being designed as tsunami safe havens.

Bill Sherman
CH2M HILL / DEN
720-286-2792

Liaquat Ally Akhand

Nov 18, 2009, 7:34:48 PM11/18/09
to sea...@seaint.org
Dear,

It is possible by providing wave breaker, depneds on investment.

Regards,

On Thu, Nov 19, 2009 at 6:06 AM, Bill Polhemus <bi...@polhemus.cc> wrote:
> Does anyone here know of ANY criteria related to design of marine and
> coastal protection for tsunamis?
>
> (And no, I'm not joking; a client has asked the question).
>
> William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
> Via iPhone 3G

> *   Read list FAQ at: http://www.seaint.org/list_FAQ.asp

> **   This email was sent to you via Structural Engineers*   Association of
> Southern California (SEAOSC) server. To*   subscribe (no fee) or

> UnSubscribe, please go to:
> *
> *   http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
> *

> *   Questions to seai...@seaint.org. Remember, any email you*   send to
> the list is public domain and may be re-posted*   without your permission.
> Make sure you visit our web*   site at: http://www.seaint.org******* ******

Bill Polhemus

Nov 18, 2009, 7:57:26 PM11/18/09
to <seaint@seaint.org>
That's what this new FEMA P646 is about, I think.

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Via iPhone 3G

David Topete

Nov 18, 2009, 8:33:04 PM11/18/09
to sea...@seaint.org
Maybe ASCE 7-05 section 5.4.4 "Wave Loads" is your answer.

--
David Topete, SE

Harold Sprague

Nov 18, 2009, 9:43:43 PM11/18/09
to sea...@seaint.org
http://nthmp-history.pmel.noaa.gov/Designing_for_Tsunamis.pdf

Develop the waves using the FEMA document and this.  Develop the forces on any structures using ASCE 7.

Regards, Harold Sprague