Seagull 1.0.5 Pear version

Heinrich Stoellinger

Nov 2, 2013, 6:36:46 PM11/2/13
to seagull...@googlegroups.com
Hi,
I have been trying to install the latest (1.0.5?) Seagull pear-version on my Linux-Mint system.
When doing "pear channel-discover pear.phpkitchen.com" I run into the following message.

Discovering channel pear.phpkitchen.com over http:// failed with message: channel-add: Cannot open "http://pear.phpkitchen.com/channel.xml" (File http://pear.phpkitchen.com:80/channel.xml not valid (received: HTTP/1.1 403 Forbidden))
Trying to discover channel pear.phpkitchen.com over https:// instead
Discovery of channel "pear.phpkitchen.com" failed (channel-add: Cannot open "https://pear.phpkitchen.com/channel.xml" (Connection to `pear.phpkitchen.com:443' failed: Connection refused))

How can I continue?
Regards
Heinrich

Demian Turner

Nov 2, 2013, 7:32:00 PM11/2/13
to Seagull General
Hi Heinrich

As far as I can tell, PEAR as a concept is dead. There are 3 things that make me believe that

• I tried to update PEAR libs we store in svn last week and their server was down for around 5 days, no one answers IRC or email
• almost nothing in the PEAR repo works with PHP 5.4
• PEAR2, or Pyrus, hardly has any of the main packages ported over, it’s hardly usable.

So I’m removing support for it, including not running a PEAR server.

The good news is I have Seagull almost fully working with Composer now, so installing a new project will be a matter of

composer create-project seagullframework/sandbox path/to/project 1.6

Still probably need a few days on it ...

In the meanwhile you can svn co from trunk and everything works fine, has latest PEAR libs, and works well with PHP 5.4 - it’s running with an error_reporting(E_ALL ^ E_STRICT)

cheers Demian

Heinrich Stoellinger

Nov 3, 2013, 1:35:05 AM11/3/13
to seagull...@googlegroups.com
Good Morning, Demian,
Thanks for your prompt reply! Good news! I just "dropped by" yesterday to get
an idea of how Seagull is developing (did have my doubts in the past couple
of months!). I don't have to change anything at this very moment, so I suppose
I can easily wait till you have got it working with Composer. Let us "Seagullers"
know when you are "finished" with the job. I will then try it out and maybe
can be of use in doing some testing.
Thanks again - and keep up the good work!
Regards from Salzburg
Heinrich

Heinrich Stoellinger