ImagineCup

Steffen Zschaler

Jun 9, 2009, 4:47:23 AM6/9/09
to se-for-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi all,

here's the link to the Microsoft ImagineCup that we talked about in
Vancouver: http://imaginecup.com/

It is an international event with a large number of categories in which
students can compete. The theme for this year (and as far as I know at
least the next two years) is given by the United Nations Millenium
Development Goals that can be found, e.g., here:
http://imaginecup.com/CompetitionsContent/MDG.aspx

I think this is a great opportunity (especially in the software design
category) to combine teaching software-engineering principles and
developing ideas for how SE can help the planet.

Cheers,

Steffen

--
Dr. rer. nat. Steffen Zschaler
Senior Research Associate

Lancaster University
Lancaster, United Kingdom

Email szsc...@acm.org
Phone +44 (01524) 510354
WWW http://www.steffen-zschaler.de/

Apt, Alan

Jun 9, 2009, 9:08:49 AM6/9/09
to se-for-t...@googlegroups.com
How do we influence the UN goals to include climate change?
Does anyone have contact at Microsoft? I can contact mine.

Alan Apt
Senior Editor

CRC Press- Chapman Hall
Taylor and Francis
alan...@taylorandfrancis.com
www.alanapt.com
PH: 970-221-9417

Steffen Zschaler

Jun 9, 2009, 9:12:10 AM6/9/09
to se-for-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi Alan,

Not sure you can influence the UN goals, but climate change can
certainly be covered under goal #7 "Ensure environmental sustainability".

Steffen

Apt, Alan

Jun 9, 2009, 9:52:21 AM6/9/09
to se-for-t...@googlegroups.com
Hi Steffen,

Yes, very compatible, good point. As we know the impact on Africa and
other drought stricken regions will be quite severe. I am sure the UN is
concerned about this with respect to this goal.

Alan