Re: [biochar] Some tiopics about size of biochar

erichjknight

May 22, 2018, 11:14:48 AM5/22/18
to bio...@yahoogroups.com, Soils, se-bi...@googlegroups.com
Hi Mike,

IT  is a very good idea to process the biomass down to a small size before you carbonize it, but it limits the way you make the biochar.

For example sawdust does not have the airflow that can be achieved with wood chips.

So if you use a small particle size of biomass I guess you are restricted to a retort,

 not an issue for me because I use the conservation burn pile method, which my hardwood prunings, from my clients trees, 1-2 inches in diameter, are the perfect size feedstock, Plus I get paid $32 an hour to haul them to my property.

Burning my biomass at both ends,
Erich J Knight

Sent from my Sprint Phone.