Fwd: [soil-age] Fwd: Glacial Gravel rockdust, Tacoma

erichjknight

Feb 17, 2018, 8:17:56 AM2/17/18
to Soils, se-bi...@googlegroups.com, bio...@yahoogroups.com, Bryce Meeker

I cannot say enough about the importance of David's work, I certainly encourage all to go to the Terra-Char site and see his wonderful work in the bootheel of Missouri resulting in record corn and soybean Harvest for that state.

A big tip of the hat to David for explaining the micro Dynamic processes that maintain the elemental basis of soil fertility.

I have written several times about there were only two cultures that maintains soil fertility at the Millennium scale. The Egyptians because of the Good Fortune of the Nile floodings, and the Kayapo peoples of the Amazon basin for their creation of Terra Preta soils.

However I was corrected, that I had not included the cultures of the Himalayan mountains who's agriculture was fed by the glacial milk dreams coming from those mountains.

David basically explains the micronutrient reasons for this millennial fertility.

Thank you David,

Sent from my Sprint Phone.

#1: micronize particle size
#2: get it in the root zone
#3: complete, balanced blend
#4: apply with biocarbon
#5: apply with microbes
with these methods, application rates of a few hundred pounds per acre will yield strong benefits on microbe activity, plant growth and soil conditions.

to be available to plants, these rock minerals must be eaten & digested by microbes -- mostly by bacteria, the smallest, simplest bions -- to properly, intimately wed these charged minerals to water & carbon matrix that is life.  these ionic minerals must be married to biocarbon -- embedded in complex biocarbon structures, including specialized biomolecules like enzymes.  so, raw, concentrated rock minerals are best diluted and applied with biocarbons & microbes.

attached is .txt document with guidance on application rates edited from rockdustlocal.com.

BLEND WITH BIOCHAR & COMPOST

since 2010, i've blended mineral powders & compost with biochar, and find this is superior to deliver these nutrients.  at far out farm, i've begun to blend samples of 5 regional rockdusts & 4 biochars at various rates.  a slight amount of water in biochar is critical to successful blends.   my favorite method is hand-mixing to sprinkle on by shovel for precision placement, but farmers need a more efficient mechanized bulk process.

this weekend, i start seed & seedling trials at various rates to learn how to best blend & apply these materials.  photo below is a seedling trial of 7 rockdusts last june in sikeston MO:
Inline image 1
4 trays on left are known commercial products;
3 on right are potential midwest region resources.
Inline image 2

as soon as rod finishes his greenhouse, i'll start seedling trials, which yield visible results in 2 weeks, and are complete in 30 days.  no need prove these materials work; my trials are to test various rates & blends to understand these different materials effects & learn best uses.

i'll write on biochar & blending next week.  briefly, we get store-bought products in packages made of cellulose & plastic.  similarly, strong electric charge on these minerals are packaged by nature in carbon to safely, efficiently deliver them where cell or organism needs them.  we are wise to follow nature's model.  instead, agriculture has applied harsh, unbalanced NPK chemicals that burn carbon out of soils.

i'll also write more on other potential native mineral resources to develop for the next growing season.  prices for fertilizers are mostly handling & transport, so however we reduce distances & intermediate steps will significantly cut costs to make this strategy economical.

for a green & peaceful planet,
david yarrow

--
Also on Facebook at https://www.facebook.com/groups/Soil4Climate/