Timebanking Meeting #04: July 11th, 2011

瀏覽次數:2 次
跳到第一則未讀訊息

Toast

未讀,
2011年7月14日 下午3:50:132011/7/14
收件者:sdtim...@googlegroups.com

Hello everyone,

These are the notes from Timebanking meeting #04, held Monday July 11th, 2011.

These notes are attached in a word document for printing convenience.

In keeping with the idea of holding a meeting every two weeks, the next timebanking meeting will be held Saturday, July 23rd at 2 pm. It will be held at Trash Farm, unless another location volunteers. *It has just been pointed out this is during Comic Con. Any suggestions?

Discussions within:

Five to Fold explanation

Reasons for interest

Current group size

Current group focus

Problems – user agreement

5 to Fold demo: research proposal

Deliberation points:

- group parameters, caps, dummy account, groups, products

Research presentation

User Agreement specific interests

Mission statement

Outreach

Software

Computer Liason/eFairy

Administrative labor

Announcements

Contact Info

Timebanking Meeting 04

Monday, July 11th, 2011

Members present: Cat, Will (Nosebleed), Paul, Nosebleed Sn. (Raffi), Toast

Total members: 5

Facilitator: Cat

Notetaker: Toast

Meeting Notes

Five to Fold Explanation

5 to Fold is a consensus tool used in decision creation. For an idea to pass everyone present must agree to it, however in the 5 to Fold methodology each participant specifies their level of interest at the time of voting. Additionally, participants can indicate if they are strongly interested in leadership positions. For comparison, some systems use an abstain-block-pass method, analogous to pass or fail. 5 to Fold allows for exuberance and reservation within a passing vote, and a fold in the case of extreme dissent.

Method: The person putting forth a proposal is known as the proposal maker. Another person, the proposal facilitator, oversees the event. This can be the meeting facilitator or another group participant, but should not be the proposal maker.

A physical object is used to represent the focus of the group’s attention. Much like stack methodology, the proposal facilitator makes sure those who want to speak are able to hold the physical object, and others stay respectful of speaking turns.

The proposal maker states the proposal. Group participants pass the physical object, asking questions and making comments. The proposal may be modified if there seems to be agreement within the group. The PM then states the final proposal, after all amendments have been made. The proposal facilitator asks for a vote, and assists the notetaker is gathering information.

Votes are conducted with the hands, or another agreed upon method if a participant is physically disabled. Votes range from putting up five fingers to a fold of the hands across the chest. From most positive to least, these are the voting options:

5 fingers: I fully support this proposal and will take a leadership position in implementing it

4 fingers: I strongly support this proposal and may take a leadership position

3 fingers: I accept this proposal

2 fingers: I have reservations, but will support this proposal

1 finger:  I have very serious reservations about this proposal, that in some way it feels at odds with the purpose and needs of the group at this time. However, I am not blocking the group proposal, I will communicate openly and honestly about my reservations, and I commit not to subverting the decision in any way.

Fold (hands folded across heart): I believe that the proposal as presented is damaging to the purpose of the group and choose to block it

For more information on the five to fold methodology, visit the San Diego Non-violent Communication website which discusses its method in depth:

http://www.sdnvc.org/pages/purpose_and_identity_assets/GC512%20Five%20To%20Fold%20Decision%20Making.pdf

Reasons for Interest

We went around our circle and explained why we were interested in timebanking. Interests included:

Increased human interest in trade

Increased interconnection between individuals and communities

Increased local resilience

Decreased dependency on national currency

Decreased heartlessness or robotic nature in transactions

Strong interest present for a system that is not economically based – with money, points, or otherwise. Agreed that timebanking is a coherent step from the current system in its cooperative nature, and thus worth participation.

Current Group Size

The group has 44 members by email. Largest meeting number attendance has been 10. 5 are thus needed for quorum at a meeting.

Current group focus

The group needs to know what it is doing and how. While we are a cooperative alternate trade system, we still exist in a world of lawsuits, professional labor taxes, and other landmines. It may be best to start with a core group to work out details, then expand.

The group will use a “social justice model” that equalizes all labor. Currently in this system, one hour of expert work is equal in points awarded to one hour of novice work. One hour of babysitting equals one hour of mechanic work equals one hour of painting. Ways to differentiate between novice and expert remain sought for.

Problems: user agreement

We all will participate in the timebank in good faith, however must address issues which may compromise the system. Having a legally sound user agreement helps this end.

Two focus points: a) what do we put in the actual agreement and b) how is it administered

5 to Fold Demo: Research Proposal

Proposal maker: Cat

Proposal facilitator: Nosebleed Senior

Proposal: Research other timebanks, see what they have used for contractual legalities, and go to those timebankers based in law to form an agreement

Comments:

Other systems exist – look at all collective local economies

Research, share, then compose

Reproposal: Research other analogous groups, see what they use for contractual legalities, share with the group for decision creation, then firm up document with intergroup lawyers.

Votes:

5 – Cat

4 – Will, Toast

3 – Paul

Reproposal passes, Cat will lead research with Will and Toast offering assistance.

Deliberation Points

While at quarum, the group was interested in having larger discussion of these two new topics. They include:

Group parameters

What needs 100% group approval in formal process? What can be self-propelled? Example: Voting for timebanking outreach vs. voting on outreach to a specific group, at a time, location, etc.

Point Caps

Part of the participation reasoning behind timebanking is faith in honest interactions between people. A point cap has been suggested to provide incentive toward reciprocity and open trade. This would discourage actions like point hoarding, where lots of points are held onto by one member, or extreme point debt, where a member only takes points from the community. Point caps are typically set high so that they do not interfere with normal interactions.

Example: If each member starts at zero points, a cap would be + 200 points and – 200 points. A member would not benefit in the points system from laboring over 200 hours without getting anything in return, nor would they be able to draw over 200 hours from the group without giving hours in return.

Dummy Account

What happens to extra points when people leave the timebanking community? A dummy account, created like an individual account, can help absorb shocks the system will meet.

Other points mentioned but not discussed at meeting:

Individuals, Collectives (co-ops, non-profits), and Businesses (for-profit):

Can a group have an account?

What are the legalities concerning unpaid labor in businesses?

Labor vs. Goods and products

Currently the group is discussing trades in labor. Will products be included? Examples would be knitted sweaters, food, or bikes. Additionally, how are parts handled? If a mechanic replaces an alternator on a car, how is the alternator paid for – points, money, etc.

Research Presentation

Should we reinvent the bicycle? If use an old model, what if the one we pick has bad rims? There’s a medium between taking on an old system as is and complete DIY – namely, research. From discovering what other groups have done, we can decide what we like, what looks prohibitive, and what lessons they have learned.

From the research demo, Cat will head the research initiative, looking at groups online. We will look into timebanking groups, LETS systems, community weaving system, and others if found. Hopefully this info can be put in a spread sheet and presented at timebanking meeting #6, in one month. This is the info that will be gathered:

Name, location, website, and mission statement

Type of social change network

What sort of contract or user agreement does the social change network use?

What points do they cover?

Is the contract online and/or physically signed?

Do they use computers?

How is computer access handled?

Do administrative hours count as labor? From where?

Does the system have caps?

Does the system have a community pool/dummy account?

Is the national currency involved? ($$)

Do they fundraise? How?

Are there dues?

This document can be online in google doc’s spreadsheet. Cat will look into borrowing a projector from ASD.

User Agreement Interests

This timebanking group is interested in fostering connections between individuals and the community. Since we will be setting up relationships between people, but not able to strictly monitor the quality of each transaction, it would be wise to protect the group from liability. If someone has a bad experience and is not satisfied with filing a complaint, this means that they cannot sue other members.

User agreements will be looked at in the research comparison, however topics we thought would be beneficial include:

Taxes on professional labor

Member should check for other member’s accreditation (ex. First aid for child care)

Liability safety

Idea that members act in good faith, but each transaction is conducted at the members own risk

Mission Statements

There are two existing mission statements. Others will be explored in the research project. Mission Statements help focus a group on its interests, as well as help explain what the group is about to others. Since these discussions can take an hour or more, the group felt it was best to focus on structural elements.

Outreach

Make flyers, test run on community listserves

Clipboard and flyers at City Heights farmer’s market, LBGT center, Green Drinks

Events: When someone is signed up at an event they are usually introduced to a functioning system set in motion. SD Timebanking currently has loose ends that should be worked out before efforts are focused on an event.

Software

We currently use Community Weaver Software. It has a freeware limit of twenty users. This means the group will either have to fundraise or find an open source software if we continue to use an electronic system. Please research other softwares that are amenable to the groups needs so we can have an informed discussion on this matter.

Computer Liason/eFairy

Computer based systems allow for quick and up to date ledger changes. They act as both dispersed and centrally located systems since a ledger is concentrated in one place and accessible to everyone at any location with internet access.

That said: some do not use computers, some do not know how to use computers, and some do not have access to computers or the internet.

It would be beneficial for the group to create a computer liason or eFairy who helps those without access.

Administrative Labor

The social justice model the group is using claims that all labor is equal in worth. Admin work is preformed by members for the benefit of the group, and any member performing labor should be rewarded for it. Creating a timebanking community account could be a source for these points to come from.

(Writers note: Six pages is an act of love)

Announcements

Pride! Saturday in Hillcrest

Class: Intro to Peacemaking

-          About making communities

-          July 19th, 6pm, T/R at Ant Hill Collective

-          Teachingtotransgressatcity.org

Permaculture tour

-          August 6th

-          Sky mountain in Escondido

Contact Info

Paul: paul...@gmail.com 619-261-8815 (after nine pm or on weekends)

Raffi: raffi...@yahoo.com 858-736-4611

Trash Farm: 619-297-0989

Toast: ebdra...@gmail.com

Will: cumm...@gmail.com

Cat: cmen...@riseup.net

TB #4.doc

Catherine Mendonca

未讀,
2011年7月14日 下午4:08:502011/7/14
收件者:sdtim...@googlegroups.com
Awesome! Thanks so much!

Only members only may post, but archives are public.
For more info, visit tat http://groups.google.com/group/sdtimebank?hl=en

Raffi Aftandelian

未讀,
2011年7月22日 下午2:40:212011/7/22
收件者:sdtim...@googlegroups.com
fellow timebankers,

do you know when and where the next meeting is?

i couldn't find it in the meeting notes and i'm not on facebook...

thanks much,
raffi (aka nosebleed, sr.)

回覆所有人
回覆作者