Registration selection/filter criteria?

Naresh Jain

Sep 19, 2007, 2:10:44 PM9/19/07
to sdt...@googlegroups.com
There have been a few discussions on should we keep the registration open to all [like last year] or do we have some filter/selection criteria. What do you think?

--
Naresh Jain
http://agilefaqs.com

Dan Mead

Sep 19, 2007, 2:16:08 PM9/19/07
to sdt...@googlegroups.com
criteria sounds like a terrible idea.

Ramon Davila

Sep 19, 2007, 2:19:03 PM9/19/07
to sdt...@googlegroups.com
Do you mean a  filter to decide who can register? What will be the rationale for that?

David Bogus

Sep 19, 2007, 2:31:56 PM9/19/07
to sdt...@googlegroups.com
Is it going to be free again? Last year we had a number of people
sign up that didn't attend or attend much.

The only filter I think of right off is payment/sponsor ship of the confrence.

Dave

--
Dave's Definitions: Morning, is after I've slept for more than four
hours. Lunch is the second meal of the day no matter the hour of

Naresh Jain

Sep 19, 2007, 2:33:52 PM9/19/07
to sdt...@googlegroups.com
>> Do you mean a  filter to decide who can register?
Everybody can register. Post registration, there would be a selection round, which will determine who can attend.

>>What will be the rationale for that?
So last year we all met, we discussed about a bunch of interesting things. Hopefully everyone got something out of it. Bob correct me if I'm wrong, but the CodeGreen labs idea came out of the conf. But the question I have is do we want to stop there or do we want to improve what comes out of the conference. One way of doing that is, asking people to come in with a problem [hopefully with some artifacts on which we can work]. We can take this problem and collectively as a group find a good solution for it. So what I'm thinking to be the criteria is to come in with a clear objective of at least one thing that you would like to solve. This way we can do a lot of content work upfront and use the conference to do real work. We can still have Open Space format for some exploratory topics. But I don't feel happy with all talk and no real work.

Makes sense? Or I'm living under a rock. Again, it's our conference, how can we make it better? Lots of people complained last time about " Need more hands on "stuff""

Corey Haines

Sep 19, 2007, 6:44:05 PM9/19/07
to sdt...@googlegroups.com
Personally, I loved the whole open space part. With a few adjustments
(longer break, maybe 10-15 minutes) between sessions for
socializing/picking next topic, it would be perfect. I am not as keen
on the idea of having a definite goal; it kind of defeats the purpose
of a self-organizing conference. If we had a room with internet access
(wireless or a hub), then people could choose to go and work together
if they want (like last time with Casey doing the bowling game in
Haskell).

In my view, "more hands-on stuff" would have been easier access to sit
down and get the computers out. I really like the discussions about
things. I definitely wouldn't have minded doing a bit more coding, but
I'm not sure that it would have been better if there was a definite
"goal," as opposed to just hearing someone talking and saying "show
me." I know that Naresh and I went back to my hotel to code for a bit,
so I could show him some thoughts of mine, but I had had a couple two
many beers, I think, by the time he arrived, so I don't know if it was
too productive for him (I definitely enjoyed it).

I guess having a direction other than "Simple Design and Testing,"
wouldn't be horrible, if we agreed on something Friday night. But,
then, it turns into a "let's get something written" weekend, rather
than "let's have a weekend that we can talk face-to-face about stuff."

-Corey

--
http://www.coreyhaines.com

Corey Haines

Sep 19, 2007, 6:45:01 PM9/19/07
to sdt...@googlegroups.com
Oh, as for selection criteria, I think we should just have a limit of
how many people can register. If people are willing to ship themselves
out to York, PA, for a conference, they probably are the right people
to come.
(add to that the fact that I'm not 100% sure that I'd be selected) :)

-Corey

--
http://www.coreyhaines.com

George Dinwiddie

Sep 19, 2007, 10:24:45 PM9/19/07
to sdt...@googlegroups.com
I agree with David that it would be good to charge a nominal amount.
Not only will it improve attendance if people have some skin in the
game, but they'll think the conference has more value, also. It doesn't
have to be much. This is basic Psychology 101 stuff.

I went to the Portland AgileOpen conference last February, and the
energy level was very high. I'd like to see us get the same level of
interest on the East Coast.

I don't think it's necessary to require attendees to bring something,
but it might be a good idea to seed the conference with some people who
are bringing something.

- George

David Bogus wrote:
> Is it going to be free again? Last year we had a number of people
> sign up that didn't attend or attend much.
>
> The only filter I think of right off is payment/sponsor ship of the confrence.
>

> Dave
>

> On 9/19/07, Ramon Davila <davila...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> Do you mean a filter to decide who can register? What will be the rationale
>> for that?
>>
>> On 9/19/07, Naresh Jain <nash...@gmail.com > wrote:
>>> There have been a few discussions on should we keep the registration open
>> to all [like last year] or do we have some filter/selection criteria. What
>> do you think?

Naresh Jain

Sep 20, 2007, 11:32:24 AM9/20/07
to sdt...@googlegroups.com
If majority of people think, charing some nominal fee is a good filter criteria, I don't mind. Personally I don't think fee makes a difference. People are investing time, which is more important.

Also with money being involved, it complicates things for the organizers. They need an account, they need website which can accept cards or use some other site's service, etc. Last year, there was not a single dollar that was routed thru me. All the sponsors sponsored in kind and we were done with the event. There was no need to open a bank account, manage it, etc.

If possible I would like to keep it simple.

Corey Haines

Sep 20, 2007, 3:58:57 PM9/20/07
to sdt...@googlegroups.com
Just out of curiosity, what prompted the idea of filter criteria? You
said that there had been a few discussions. Were people concerned
about the quality of people that showed up last year? That sounds
doubtful. Perhaps it seems like we might get too many people?

-Corey

--
http://www.coreyhaines.com

Brian Marick

Sep 20, 2007, 6:47:17 PM9/20/07
to sdt...@googlegroups.com

On Sep 20, 2007, at 2:58 PM, Corey Haines wrote:

> Just out of curiosity, what prompted the idea of filter criteria? You
> said that there had been a few discussions. Were people concerned
> about the quality of people that showed up last year? That sounds
> doubtful. Perhaps it seems like we might get too many people?

I don't know if I'm the person who started all this, but the kind of
thing I was proposing is not so much about filtering. What I've seen
at OOPSLA and AWTA (Austin Workshop on Test Automation) is that
having people write a position paper before coming leads to better
discussion because people have thought about what they want from the
conference. You don't spend half the time figuring out what you want
to figure out.

Position papers are rarely rejected.

Position papers almost make it more likely that we'll have well-
chosen examples to look at and discuss. If you're going to talk about
written things - code and tests - it's good to have written things to
look at.

People will also be more encouraged to prepare some sort of
experiential learning extravaganzas.

-----
Brian Marick, independent consultant
www.exampler.com, www.exampler.com/blog