Protest Chicago on May 20th. Join the Student Contingent!

Students for a Democratic Society

May 13, 2012, 7:26:02 PM5/13/12

Students & Youth: Protest the NATO Summit in Chicago MAY 20, 2012

At the invitation of the White House, military and civilian representatives of the 28-nation US-commanded and largely US-financed North Atlantic Treaty Organization (NATO) are meeting in Chicago on May 20th, 2012.

As students and youth of the United States, we see our economy, side by side with other nations across the world, deteriorating. While jobs are being slashed and social services are cut, the cost of education only continues to grow. While students are forced to work and go to school full-time just to pay for books, our government is pouring trillions of dollars into wars and occupations abroad that result in thousands of deaths, claiming that there is no money to be found for social services like: education, housing and health care. Ending the wars would mean trillions of dollars of savings annually that could be spent on human needs here in the United States! We want money for EDUCATION not for war!

On MAY 20TH, representatives of NATO will be meeting in Chicago to determine global policies that will affect OUR future. Students for a Democratic Society, alongside other students, is mobilizing to spread the message that the people's needs come before corporate profit.

Will you join the student contingent in Chicago on May 20th to protest NATO and raise the following demands?

WE DEMAND that U.S./NATO begin an immediate withdrawal from Afghanistan.
WE DEMAND that money be spent for education, not for global conflict. Education is the future of a democratic society.
WE WILL PROTEST the NATO meeting in Chicago and join the student contingent on Sunday, May 20th.

Sign the pledge online

Join the student contingent! After the opening rally, meet us at the Northeast corner of Columbus Drive and Jackson Boulevard, directly behind the Petrillo Bandshell, in Grant Park--near the Jackson Blvd street curb. Look for the SDS flags and our lead banner that will read "Money for Education, Not for War!" We will be behind the Committee to Stop FBI Repression contingent

Students for a Democratic Society is circulating the update below from the Coalition Against NATO and the G8 War & Poverty Agenda:

UNAC

(please forward widely)

Take the Peace Train to Chicago

We have worked out a 10% discount with AMTRAK for anyone traveling to the Chicago demonstration on May 20. You can use this discount to travel to and from Chicago on an AMTRAK train from anywhere in the country during the period from May 17 to May 23. To get the special rate, you need to make a reservation and give them the “Convention fare code number of X50K-949.” If they ask you what organization you are from, it is UNAC. AMTRAK fares go up the closer it gets to the day of departure. So, to get the lowest fare, it is best to reserve a seat as soon as possible. There are other discounts for seniors and youth that may be cheaper.

Free Bus to Chicago from Everywhere

click here for information

Important: some busses are filling up and some do not have enough people andf may be canceled.  Please register now.  The busses are paid for the the National Nurses United union

Friends,

The NATO summit in Chicago on May 20-21 is fast approaching. We wanted to update you and others in your organization about the events that CANG8 (Coalition Against NATO/G8 War & Poverty Agenda) is organizing in the weeks before the summit. Please share this email with your listserves so we can keep people updated.

Please see the information below about Peace Guides.  UNAC and all other sponsoring organization will provide Peace Guides who need to go through one of the training below.  Please go to a training and be a Peace Guide.

See you in the streets!

May 10, 11am: Press conference to announce Occupy Chicago's Week Of Action. This press conference will be at the Occupy Chicago Headquarters, 500 W. Cermak, room 700. If you are available, please attend!

May 12-13: The People’s Summit will convene at Occupy Chicago Headquarters, 500 W. Cermak in Chicago. Registration is free! Click here for registrationworkshop information, and keynote speakers.

May 14: Peace Guide Training at Trinity Episcopal Church, 125 E. 26th Street at 6:30pm. If you or anyone in your organization is planning on being a Peace Guide, this training is mandatory. We are asking local activists to attend this session instead of the session on Saturday so we can assess the peace guide situation.

May 15: Nakba Commemoration. "Nakba - Telling the Story. Remember. Retell. Resist" at Grace Place, 637 S. Dearborn. at 6:30pm.

May 19: Peace Guide Training at 8th Day Center, 205 W. Monroe at 9:30am. If you or anyone in your organization is planning on being a Peace Guide, this training is mandatory. This session is primarily for out-of-town activists who want to be peace guides. We are asking local activists to attend the session on May 14.
May 20: March and Rally to Protest NATOstarting at noon at Petrillo Bandshell

For march route, resourceshousing board, and other information, go to www.cang8.org.

 .

click here to donate to UNAC

Click here for the Facebook UNAC group.