[Reminder] SD Ruby is this Thursday, December 5, 7:00pm - Networking at 6:00pm!

Krista Morrison

Dec 3, 2019, 10:14:32 AM12/3/19
to sdr...@googlegroups.com
Hey Ruby fans! It's the most wonderful time of the year, and it's time
for the last SD Ruby Meetup of 2019! Join us for an evening of
networking and talks before we head into the winter break. As a
reminder, we won't be meeting for our normal first Thursday in
January, so this will be the last Meetup for a bit. Don't miss it!

RSVP for the Meetup here: https://www.meetup.com/sdruby/events/gwkqcryzqbhb/

PRE PARTY - 6:00pm
Networking over pizza and soda

FEATURED TALK FOR DECEMBER:
Leif Gensert - "Bugs, what are they good for?"
- What constitutes a bug?
- When should you fix a bug?
- What mindset is helpful in order to efficiently fix a bug?

LIGHTNING TALKS:
We're always open for people to share lightning talks. Feel free to
sign up here: http://bit.ly/1Nsq9g8 (Google Form). Lightning talks are
5 minutes and a great chance to dip your toes in if you've always
wanted to talk at SDRuby, but haven't had the chance to yet.

RAFFLE
We'll be giving away a few ebooks, software licenses, etc, using our
super fun Rafflr!

AFTER PARTY - 8:30pm
After the meeting, we'll head out for a round or two of drinks at Half
Door Brewing Company!

DIRECTIONS
Meetings are held at LEARN Academy downtown (704 J Street), at 7:00pm,
with networking beginning at 6:00pm, on the first Thursday of the
month. Metered parking downtown is free after 6pm or 8pm, depending on
the area, so double-check the meter before you leave without paying.
There are also several paid parking lots nearby, if you so choose.

SPONSOR OR SPEAK AT THE NEXT MEETING
Wanna talk at our next meeting? Have a topic you want someone else to
talk about? Interested in sponsoring? Email me at
krista.k...@gmail.com, and we'll get you on the books.

Krista Morrison

Feb 4, 2020, 3:50:00 PM2/4/20
to sdr...@googlegroups.com
And we're back! It's time for our first Meetup of the year, and we're
in for a great one.

RSVP for the Meetup here: https://www.meetup.com/sdruby/events/gwkqcrybcdbjb/

PRE PARTY - 6:00pm
Networking over pizza and soda

FEATURED TALK FOR FEBRUARY:
Jon Tara - " Creating Hybrid Mobile iOS and Android Apps using Ruby
and HTML/CSS/JS"
Ruby is most often employed to create back-end systems, such as
middleware for websites or (typically REST APIs, usually using an MVC
framework such as Rails, or a light-weight framework such as Sinatra.
This is a well-trodden and proven path, and is supported by a robust
ecosystem of open-source libraries and tools.

Most Rubyists would be surprised, however, to know that Ruby can be
employed in a central role in the creation of hybrid native
applications for iOS, Android, and other mobile operating systems.

The little-known open-source Rhodes framework and Rhomobile
development platform implements a Rails-like MVC "back end" within a
native mobile app. (No native coding required, though!) A WebView is
used to create a "front end" Using HTML/CSS/JS) that can make requests
of the MVC. Remote communication (e.g. to a "real" back end") is
typically done using Ruby code.

Developers with Ruby/Rails experience are easily able to leverage
their experience and create real native mobile apps without having to
face a mountain of documentation and having to learn or hone
unfamiliar languages. You can deploy of multiple platforms from a
single codebase, and the platform provides coverage for nearly all
device capabilities (e.g. GPS, camera, sensors, etc. etc.) and an
escape hatch that allows incorporation of native code for the rare
cases where it is needed.

Rhodes is a great way to create POCs, prototypes, MVPs, etc. but has
been successfully used to create a wide variety of types of apps for
both public App Store and Enterprise deployment.

This talk will give an introduction to Rhodes, and explain some of the
fascinating details of it's internals and how it works, including how
it's possible that an interpretive language such as Ruby can possibly
be approved for App Store deployment.
The speaker will share the source code of a simple application that
does QR code capture that can be downloaded from GitHub, as an example
of how easy it is to create an app that sounds scary-complicated in
very minimal time.