Help with sdrtrunk - status idle

Brandon Mace

Mar 22, 2024, 5:07:34 PMMar 22
to sdrtrunk

I'm new to the SDR world and trying to get things set up. I purchased a Nooelec RTL-SDR v5 Bundle from Amazon. I am running sdrtrunk v0.6.0 on a Windows 10 computer. I got the hardware installed yesterday and got the drivers properly installed and sdrtrunk can see the tuner as it shows enabled and RTL-2832.

I watched a YouTube video on how to initially get the software set up and creating a playlist. I set mine up to use the P25 Phase 1 Minnesota ARMER system.

After I got the playlist all set up and press play, when I look under now playing.. it keeps showing Idle and I'm unable to hear any audio at all.

Here are some screenshots from the program

Would appreciate any help, thank you!

charley....@gmail.com

Mar 22, 2024, 6:13:18 PMMar 22
to sdrtrunk
There is no receivable signal in your screen shot, which leads me to believe that your tuner is either installed incorrectly or your playlist is misconfiguration.    Please post your startup log file and a screenshot of your playlist.  Be prepared when asked for additional screenshots.

dave38...@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2024, 9:12:20 AMMar 23
to sdrtrunk
If your trying the site below,  you need both 855.7125 and 856.9375 programmed into the same system. Looks like you have one control channel associated with the system and the second one is entered by it self. With only the one freq in the system, it's just sitting on a control channel thats not active.

Mapleton 851.175   851.9625 852.4625 855.7125c 856.2125 856.9375c

fgfgfg.JPG

Stop the tuner and then click on the system, and where it shows 855.7125 on the lower left, click add and add 856.9375. Then try starting the tuner again.

.

charley....@gmail.com

Mar 23, 2024, 2:19:47 PMMar 23
to sdrtrunk
I looked at your logs which seem ok.  It appears from your screenshots that you are trying to monitor the Mapleton site, but you've named it "Blue Earth" - is that correct?   The Mapleton site has two control channels that could be used.  It appears that 855.7125 is not being used atm, so you should also add the other control channel for that site:  856.9375.  The caveat that I have is that the data in the RRDB is correct, and you are located within range of the Mapleton site.  I don't see any active control channel in your spectrum waterfall and the SDR that you have *should* have the bandwidth to display both of them when tuned to 855.7125.

Please tell us what specific site that you are trying to tune and your approximate location.  Perhaps there is a more geographically appropriate site for you.

Also, you will need two SDRs to monitor this site as its frequency spread is greater than the band width of your SDR.

Brandon Mace

Mar 23, 2024, 7:34:49 PMMar 23
to sdrtrunk
Okay I added those frequencies as you said and then tried it again but is still saying idle and unable to hear anything.

2024-03-23_12h51_19.png
2024-03-23_12h51_42.png

Brandon Mace

Mar 23, 2024, 7:34:51 PMMar 23
to sdrtrunk
Attached are my logs and playlists. Hopefully that's what you were asking for. Thanks!
default.xml
20240322_sdrtrunk_app.log
20240321_sdrtrunk_app.log
sdrtrunk_app.log

Steve Ries

Mar 23, 2024, 7:34:54 PMMar 23
to sdrtrunk
Also keep in mind you will only get 2.4mhz spread. with one dongle.
so with Mapleton needing ALL these 851.175   851.9625 852.4625 855.7125c 856.2125 856.9375c
That's a 5.75+ mhz spread meaning to monitor that you would need at least 3 RTL-SDR's
OR an AirSpy Mini that can do a 6mhz spread.

Andrew Jeter

Mar 23, 2024, 7:35:02 PMMar 23
to charley....@gmail.com, sdrtrunk
Scratch everything I said. I’m reading the wrong line. Apologies.

Andrew Jeter

On Mar 22, 2024, at 6:13 PM, charley....@gmail.com <charley....@gmail.com> wrote:

There is no receivable signal in your screen shot, which leads me to believe that your tuner is either installed incorrectly or your playlist is misconfiguration.    Please post your startup log file and a screenshot of your playlist.  Be prepared when asked for additional screenshots.

Andrew Jeter

Brandon Mace

Mar 26, 2024, 5:46:58 PMMar 26
to sdrtrunk
Do I actually need "all" of these channels to monitor the chatter? Or just the two control channels Mapleton has listed?
Even having both of the control channels 855.7125 & 856.9375 added currently,  I still get no receivable signal which seems weird.

Brandon Mace

Mar 26, 2024, 5:47:06 PMMar 26
to sdrtrunk
Yeah that was my fault.. I named it Blue Earth meaning Blue Earth County and should of named it Mapleton to avoid confusion.
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Steve Ries

Mar 29, 2024, 6:31:06 AMMar 29
to sdrtrunk
Yes, you need ALL the channels. The control channels tell the system which of the other frequencies it needs to tune to to catch the audio.
There is no audio on the control channel in a P25 Phase 1 system.

Brandon Mace

Apr 1, 2024, 9:32:30 AMApr 1
to sdrtrunk
Gotcha. I ended up figuring it out by using another tower as the original tower I was connecting to was apparently having some issues.