0.5.0 Alpha 6 Memory Issue

Michael Singewald

Feb 20, 2021, 7:59:59 PM2/20/21
to sdrtrunk
Hello,

Just started using this software, and it sounds so much better than what I've been using.  However, I cannot get it to keep running without locking up after 20 minutes to an hour.  This is on a Windows 10 V2004 with 4 gig RAM.

It appears to run out of Java memory, like I saw in another thread.  So I followed the advice there:

What you want to do is ADD more memory to the JVM thats the -Xmx option

I set it to 1024M, but it still runs out of memory.  Attached is the terminal window.  I also see that the RAM used in task manager starts around 400 meg and quickly goes up to 1.2 gig.  This was before and after I made the JAVA memory change.

Can anyone help me figure out why the memory is running away on this?  BTW, I am using a single CC.

Thanks for any help.

Michael
SDR Trunk.txt

rlm...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2021, 11:39:39 AM2/21/21
to sdrtrunk
Maybe this.....Minimum System Requirements
  • Operating System: Windows (32 or 64-bit), Linux (32 or 64-bit) or Mac/Linux (64-bit, 10.14 or higher)
  • CPU: 4-core
  • RAM: 8GB or more (preferred). Depending on usage, 4GB may be sufficient.

rlm...@gmail.com

Feb 21, 2021, 11:44:40 AM2/21/21
to sdrtrunk
64 bit only now as well. My original copy and paste didn’t capture that.

Neil Harvey

Feb 21, 2021, 6:33:57 PM2/21/21
to Michael Singewald, sdrtrunk

I’ve run it for days without running out of memory.  But then I have 32GB and terabytes of SSD.

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Michael Singewald

Feb 22, 2021, 11:53:38 AM2/22/21
to sdrtrunk
Thanks, I don't know why I didn't catch that.

Michael Singewald

Feb 26, 2021, 8:01:16 AM2/26/21
to sdrtrunk
Update: I set the -Xmx option to 3072M and now the system stays running without a hitch.  Looks like 3 gig is needed for JAVA to stay running.  So, it works, but I cannot use the computer for anything else at the same time, which is fine.

dave38...@gmail.com

Mar 1, 2021, 9:14:19 AM3/1/21
to sdrtrunk
Where exactly did you make the change? Where is that setting?

rlm...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2021, 10:44:51 AM3/2/21
to sdrtrunk
On a Windows machine, you make this change in your sdr-trunk.bat file

da2r...@gmail.com

Mar 2, 2021, 2:39:20 PM3/2/21
to sdrtrunk
I had java heap space issues for a while and the fix for me was to manually set the gain on all of my tuners. I still occasionally get a heap space error but it's few and far between.

dave38...@gmail.com

Mar 3, 2021, 9:59:24 AM3/3/21
to sdrtrunk
Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately it did not fix my issue with the audio stops playing after a few hours.  It was worth a try.

Nick Turin

Mar 4, 2021, 9:47:21 AM3/4/21
to sdrtrunk
Where is Denny, the author of the program? He has been gone for a long time and he does not answer anything in the topics of this group.
среда, 3 марта 2021 г. в 17:59:24 UTC+3, dave38...@gmail.com:

Michael Singewald

Mar 4, 2021, 10:01:35 AM3/4/21
to sdrtrunk
I hope he is taking a vacation, but he is probably busy with paying work.  For now, I am just restarting the program every 12 hours or so just to keep it fresh.

Raymond C

Mar 12, 2021, 12:46:24 PM3/12/21
to sdrtrunk
I'm having to do the same. Are there any other SDR apps out there that have close to similar functionality as SDRTrunk? I've not found any for MacOS. It's a blessing and a curse that SDRTrunk is so well designed, but the memory leak is such a critical flaw that really limits its use.

Michael Singewald

Mar 12, 2021, 1:10:23 PM3/12/21
to sdrtrunk
I have not had to restart it on my work computer in days.  Both are Win10 machines but one is dual core with 4g ram which keeps crashing, the work one is 8 core with 16g ram and doesn't crash.

Carl Makin

Mar 13, 2021, 1:22:53 AM3/13/21
to sdrtrunk

> On 13 Mar 2021, at 4:46 am, Raymond C <raymond...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> I'm having to do the same. Are there any other SDR apps out there that have close to similar functionality as SDRTrunk? I've not found any for MacOS. It's a blessing and a curse that SDRTrunk is so well designed, but the memory leak is such a critical flaw that really limits its use.

What version of java are you running on what version of macOS? Also, how much memory does your machine have?

Carl.

cortland...@gmail.com

Mar 16, 2021, 5:38:57 PM3/16/21
to sdrtrunk
Just wanted to say, I put alpha 6 on my 2012 mac mini running Catalina, 10.15.7 this past Saturday.  Basically downloaded and ran it (Had Alpha 2 on there previously) and it has been running non stop since.  The Mac Mini has 8 gig of ram and it is showing in the activity monitor of 899.5 MB as I type this.  I did not install any Java on the machine that I know of as, correct me if I am wrong, SDRTrunk comes with java bundled in it.  I run it 24/7 and it provides the calls stream for my area and I have a windows box running another version that provides the audio stream for my feed.  I separate them so that I kind of have redundancy to fall back on either machine if one has to do updates.

Jeff

Charlie Laird

Jan 12, 2022, 4:13:23 PM1/12/22
to sdrtrunk
I am having the same issue and when I look in the .bat file I can't find the -Xmx option in there. Could you please give some context on where it is in the document? Thank you!

rlm...@gmail.com

Jan 12, 2022, 4:31:10 PM1/12/22
to sdrtrunk
The line is near the top of the batch file and reads like this, by default.......

@rem Add default JVM options here. You can also use JAVA_OPTS and SDR_TRUNK_OPTS to pass JVM options to this script.

set DEFAULT_JVM_OPTS=

You will need to set the "-Xmx" option on that line with the amount of java heap space you wish to allocate. This has been discussed many times in this forum, do a search for examples needed.

Austin Hruskach

Jan 26, 2022, 12:03:21 PM1/26/22
to sdrtrunk
Make sure you aren't sitting on too many log files! I didn't realize that SDRTrunk accumulated 1.7 million log files and it became very unstable around the 1M mark.

sdrtrunk

Jan 27, 2022, 7:18:47 AM1/27/22
to sdrtrunk
Hi Michael,

4 GB of RAM might not be enough for what you're trying to do running 2x RTLs at 2.6MHz sample rate.

Windows with 4GB of ram will only allocate about 2.4GB of that memory to Java and this is a small amount of memory.  When you override that and further constrain it to 1GB, it will cause sdrtrunk to run out of memory.

If you need to run 2x RTLs, you might turn down the sample rate on one or both to see if that helps the issue.

Denny

Russell Purinton

Jan 27, 2022, 7:33:31 AM1/27/22
to sdrtrunk, sdrtrunk
for what its worth, i have 2 intel NUC mini-PC’s with 4GB of RAM running windows 10 with 2 RTLs each doing P25 decoding just fine, no memory issues, and no special modifications.