March 15 SDACM meeting: Data De-duplication (incl. description)

Russ at SDACM dot org

Mar 11, 2007, 12:05:39 PM3/11/07
Please forgive this repost: I neglected to include a brief description
of the talk!

Join your colleagues at the next meeting of The San Diego Chapter of
the Association for Computing Machinery (ACM), featuring featuring
Randy Hopkins, a Systems Engineer at Data Domain.

This talk will review the concepts of Capacity Optimized Storage -
COS, a technology that determines unique data patterns of incoming
backup streams and stores only the patterns required to ensure a
complete restore of the original data. This technology reduces the
amount of disk space consumed by an average of 15x - 30x or more.
Data Deduplication - what is it? How does it work? Why is it
innovative? What specific innovations has Data Domain implemented?
What makes it important to IT infrastructures, and how is it changing
the landscape and procedures in IT departments? How can this
technology be deployed to reduce WAN bandwidth requirements?

There will be light snacks.

We will meet at 6:30PM at Sun Microsystems in the UTC area: 9515 Towne
Centre Drive. Parking is free. The meeting cost is $3 for reservations
paid in advance via PayPal (see the reservation page at
http://www.sdacm.org/Reserve_20070315.html) or $5 at the door -- free
for chapter members.

NOTE: Due to the lengthy interval since our last meeting, all
memberships have been extended by six months.

This meeting is open to the public. For more information, call (858)
452-8701. Please forward this link to anyone whom you think may be
interested.

Bring your colleagues and friends!

SEAT RESERVATIONS

Please reserve your seat (at http://www.sdacm.org/Reserve_20070315.html)