SDMX-HD news

Clément Turbelin

Mar 22, 2013, 7:54:18 AM3/22/13
to sdm...@googlegroups.com
Dear all,

SDMX-HD draft was published on the web site 3 years ago, and there has
been very few activity here about it for more than a year.
Is there any news about SDMX-HD or its adoption ?

I was also wondering about the RDF data cube vocabulary and SDMX-HD : is
there any project about the adaptation of SDMX-HD using linked data tools ?

Thanks for your responses,

Best,

Cl�ment

--
Cl�ment TURBELIN
r�seau Sentinelles, Syst�me d'information et Biostatistiques (SIB), http://www.sentiweb.fr http://www.grippenet.fr

Bob Jolliffe

Mar 27, 2013, 1:00:56 PM3/27/13
to sdm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Clément

Your question has been sitting here for nearly a week now - like a
small whisper in a big cave :-)

In short you are correct to observe that nothing has been happening on
this list for a long time. SDMX-HD activity was coordinated by WHO
and they seem to not have anyone who is responsible for taking it
forward. There have been a few implementations in openmrs, dhis2,
ihris and I think others, but ongoing issues and developments are
currently difficult to resolve without a convenor.

Regarding rdf-datacube, we at Univ of Oslo have certainly been
actively looking at it as a possible standards driven way of
describing ontologies in the aggregate health data domain, perhaps
even as an alternative process to SDMX-HD, but nothing concrete as
yet.

Regards
Bob

On 22 March 2013 11:54, Clément Turbelin <clement....@gmail.com> wrote:
> Dear all,
>
> SDMX-HD draft was published on the web site 3 years ago, and there has been
> very few activity here about it for more than a year.
> Is there any news about SDMX-HD or its adoption ?
>
> I was also wondering about the RDF data cube vocabulary and SDMX-HD : is
> there any project about the adaptation of SDMX-HD using linked data tools ?
>
> Thanks for your responses,
>
> Best,
>
> Clément
>
> --
> Clément TURBELIN
> réseau Sentinelles, Système d'information et Biostatistiques (SIB),
> http://www.sentiweb.fr http://www.grippenet.fr
> UMR S 707 INSERM,UPMC Université Paris 6, http://www.u707.jussieu.fr

Clément Turbelin

Apr 9, 2013, 12:13:50 PM4/9/13
to sdm...@googlegroups.com, Pierre-Yves Boelle
Hi Bob,

Thank you for your response.

Linked data approach sounds very interesting but I wonder if it is a
more viable way (in the epidemiology field for example).
Regarding the presentation about Semantic Web data at the METIS workshop
in 2010
(http://www.unece.org/fileadmin/DAM/stats/documents/ece/ces/ge.40/2010/wp.4.e.pdf),
it seems that there is some way to go.

About SDMX-HD, I have been working on a project to publish our data
using it. For instance, we built a website to visualize static SDMX-HD
packages (with our data as example) at http://sdmx.sentiweb.fr. It was a
first step to understand and evaluate the SDMX-HD solution. A first
obstacle was the complexity of the SDMX framework (the initial cost may
be important to build such system). The ability to reuse existing (and
known) components offered by the linked data (such as dublin core,
scovo, ontologies, ...) may be an advantage.

I was following another project some years ago (AMDS, aka Aggregated
Minimal DataSet at
http://phgrid.blogspot.fr/2009/04/updated-amds-schema-web-app.html)
which is not active any more as far as I know.

We also had the "open data" approach in mind and I don't know how data
accessibility (broad access, simplicity, usefulness) could overlap with
the interoperability. I've seen there are some project about importing
SDMX data into end-users' tools - I mean people who use the data - (R,
Stata, maybe Excel) which could really help for adoption.

This is just some thoughts from a recent user of SDMX(-HD).

Best,

Cl�ment.

Le 27/03/2013 18:00, Bob Jolliffe a �crit :