SDMX.HD code

Manoj Kannangara

Nov 5, 2011, 11:12:47 AM11/5/11
to SDMX-HD (Health Domain)

I am Sri Lankan Medical Doctor following MSc in Bio Medical
Informatics . I am interested to adopt SDMX.HD for sri lankan public
health domain.I an having doubt regarding SDMX codes for following
data element.
1. Patients Name

2.Parity

3 POA (Period of Amenorrhea )

4 BMI (Body mass index ) - ?can I use CL_UNIT_GROUP

4 CL_TPOP key for Urban & Rural Population and Estate Population

5. Blood group Derermined or not,VDRL Derermined or not ? can I use
CL_CONDITION_STATUS

6 Age

7 Can CL_Unit use for measuring number of of people -eg Number of
Clinic atendence ,No. of Examinations done , No.of clinic sessions
conducted ,No. of samples taken for blood grouping and Rh

I would be very thank-full any one can do some clarification for me.

Regards,
Manoj

Bob Jolliffe

Nov 5, 2011, 1:22:51 PM11/5/11
to sdm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Manoj

Just looking at questions 1 and 7 I think there may be some
misunderstanding of the scope of the standard. SDMX-HD is
specifically a standard for aggregate data so there would never be any
place for a Patient Name. But measures of number of people is quite
typical and would typically be the VALUE of a measure keyed by a
DATAELEMENT.

So, using your examples, you might have a dataset with observations
with dataelements for "Clinic Attendance" and "No of Examinations
done":

<ns:OBS_VALUE DATAELEMENT="1" value="64"/>
<ns:OBS_VALUE DATAELEMENT="2" value="34"/>

where CL_DATAELEMENT would indicate that "Clinic Attendance" is '1'
and "No of Examinations done" ie '2'.

Regards
Bob

Manoj Kannangara

Nov 5, 2011, 11:07:22 PM11/5/11
to sdm...@googlegroups.com

Dear BOB,
Thank you lot for your quick and detail reply .I was very helpful to me to get rid of my misunderstands.

What is the SDMX code used to measure Period (POA -Period Of Amenorrhea )

Is it posible to use my own codes as a key for  DATAELEMENT in Sri Lankan context.
as a example I need it much to define keys for  CL_TPOP and CL_GEOGRAPHIC_PLACE_NAME  for local need.

I am preparing  SDMX.HD code list for maternal and child health in Sri Lanka
Is it OK to send my dataset to you for any correction.

Regards,

Manoj

Alvin Marcelo

Nov 6, 2011, 3:32:50 AM11/6/11
to sdm...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Manuel
Hi Manoj,

One of the first places you may want to visit is the WHO Indicator and Measurement Registry at http://apps.who.int/gho/indicatorregistry/App_Main/browse_indicators.aspx

Browse through the sites and see if what you need is already there.

For example, try to search for "maternal" -- one indicator will be displayed. When you click that, there will be an "Export to SDMX-HD" link (see attachment) which will allow you to download the WHO level SDMX-HD template. This is very useful to dissect as it gives you an inside view of what the file might look like.

You can then extend this file with your local geographic codes and other matters which are only relevant to Sri Lanka taking care to keep all the other components which are important to be compatible with other countries.

Feel free to post more questions here. Our local SDMX-HD expert, Wayne Manuel, is copied here. I'll ask him to join the googlegroups and also to provide assistance to you...

alvin

Alvin B. Marcelo, MD, FPCS    www.alvinmarcelo.com
Voicemail: +1-301-534-0795)    GPG 0x99CBC54C
WHO_IMR_MATERNAL_CARE_EXPORT_SDMX.jpg

Alvin Marcelo

Nov 6, 2011, 3:33:44 AM11/6/11
to sdm...@googlegroups.com, Wayne Manuel
Dear Manoj,

Do you already have a national health data dictionary in Sri Lanka? That is a good place to start if you wish your SDMX-HD to be applied more widely.

alvin

Bob Jolliffe

Nov 6, 2011, 3:37:13 AM11/6/11
to sdm...@googlegroups.com
On 6 November 2011 03:07, Manoj Kannangara <manojka...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Dear BOB,
> Thank you lot for your quick and detail reply .I was very helpful to me to
> get rid of my misunderstands.
> What is the SDMX code used to measure Period (POA -Period Of Amenorrhea )
> Is it posible to use my own codes as a key for  DATAELEMENT in Sri Lankan
> context.

Don't know. I'm not really a medical expert.

> as a example I need it much to define keys for  CL_TPOP
> and CL_GEOGRAPHIC_PLACE_NAME  for local need.

Sure. You can define your own custom codelists for these and others.
Just be sure to set AgencyId to some identifier which identifies the
Sri Lanka Ministry of Health or whoever the maintaining agency will
be. This is what distinguishes your custom codelists from the common
ones. But if where is a common code for what you need it is
preferable to use that.

> I am preparing  SDMX.HD code list for maternal and child health in Sri Lanka
> Is it OK to send my dataset to you for any correction.

Sure. By all means send me what you have to date, but it would also
be good to maintain the broader discussion here on the list so others
might engage.

Regards
Bob