Re: SDMX-HD feedback

Bob Jolliffe

Jul 21, 2010, 12:04:38 PM7/21/10
to Gary Patchen, sdm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Gary

I've finished going through the edits for now. (cc'ing to sdmx-hd
list so people are in touch with what is going on).

All of my latest effort is committed to
http://svn.sdmx-hd.org/sdmxhd/schematron-sdmx-hd which I believe is
available for anonymous checkout.

I have continued to add my resolution comments to the file
resolution_of_comments_public_review.html as its easy to maintain this
under version control. Feel free to transcribe these to whichever
medium you prefer.

The issues currently are identified as green (resolved), yellow-ish
(contentious), white (not really contentious - work in progress).
Note you will need the css in order to see the colours.

Regards
Bob

On 29 June 2010 16:17, Bob Jolliffe <bobjo...@gmail.com> wrote:
> What is your use case for encryption ie. who wants it and how and why?
>
> Regarding your open source library code, we cannot really recommend
> the classic encryption in a modern standard.  It offers unacceptable
> security.
>
> The IP terrain around AES based zip encryption is complicated.
>
> If encryption is a real requirement then we should address it properly
> in the next version.  But its quite a complex thing I know having
> worked on encryption within odf and ooxml zip containers.  It needs to
> be specified in such a way that there is no ambiguity around
> interoperability, algorithms are constrained etc.
>
> The same is true of digital signatures which are possibly more important.
>
> In most cases what users require is an encrypted channel rather than
> an encrypted file.  If users do want to encrypt an sdmx-hd package
> then they can do that just as they can encrypt any other file.  Its
> just that it won't be an sdmx-hd package anymore - in the sense that
> you can't expect an sdmx-hd consumer to be able to read it.  Once it
> is decrypted again it will be an sdmx-hd package.
>
> Regards
> Bob
>
> On 29 June 2010 15:39, Gary Patchen <gary.p...@b-i.com> wrote:
>> Hi Bob,
>>
>> Ok, I have updated the issue with your comments. Exported the data to a spreadsheet (attached). The spreadsheet has a direct link column to connect to the issues.
>>
>> Any that are done I have simply marked as "Resolved" and assigned to me.
>>
>> Sent some feedback on the zip Encryption issue (http://www.sdmx-hd.org/issues/show/60) - but if we still can't endorse using Encryption in a zip file, then I guess individual files in the zip would need to be zipped as an alternative. Please read issue 60 and lets resolve this issue ASAP.
>>
>> regards
>>
>> gary patchen
>> lead consultant
>>
>> direct + 41.(0)58.307.7094
>> mobile +41.(0)79.333.1339
>> gary.p...@b-i.com
>> www.b-i.com
>>
>> blue-infinity headquarters
>> t +41(0)58.307.7000
>> f +41(0)58.307.7001
>> INTERNATIONAL
>> t +800.307.70.000
>> f +800.307.70.001
>>
>> b-i  branding.technology.integration.
>>
>> The information in this e-mail, and those ensuing, is confidential and may be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient, please destroy this message and notify us immediately.
>>
>> Please think of the environment before printing this email

>>> f +41(0)58.307.7001
>>> INTERNATIONAL
>>> t +800.307.70.000
>>> f +800.307.70.001
>>>
>>> b-i  branding.technology.integration.
>>>
>>> The information in this e-mail, and those ensuing, is confidential and may
>>> be legally privileged. It is intended solely for the addressee. If you are
>>> not the intended recipient, please destroy this message and notify us
>>> immediately.
>>>

>>> Please think of the environment before printing this email

Gary Patchen

Jul 22, 2010, 9:43:50 AM7/22/10
to Bob Jolliffe, sdm...@googlegroups.com
Hi Bob,

As you know I originally took your html file and created issue on the SDMX-HD website for each item.
It makes more sense to me to update the issues with the comments and change the status appropriately.
Each issues has an origin of "Forum" and category of "Community Feedback" as well as an original reference link
back to the forum item it related too.

Can you update the issues with your feedback as well?