Can't run "Step2_Run_Optimized_MaxEnt_Models.bat" at the end of Spatial Jackknifing

Hannes Gaisberger

Sep 28, 2018, 11:29:41 AM9/28/18
to SDMtoolbox
Following the instruction in "Chapter 5: Running a SDM in MaxEnt: from Start to Finish" I am able to run all the steps apart the last one !!!!

After files are created I can click the batch file "Step1_Otimize_MaxEnt_Model_Parameters.bat" but when I want to run also "Step2_Run_Optimized_MaxEnt_Models.bat" I get a message that says: 'This app can't run on your PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher."

I use Windows 10 pro on my laptop.

Please let me know how I resolve this problem and run this last batch file. I am so close and invested quite some time....

Best
Hannes

Hannes Gaisberger

Oct 1, 2018, 3:00:58 AM10/1/18
to SDMtoolbox
The issue is resolved. The problem was that the batch file "Step1_Otimize_MaxEnt_Model_Parameters.bat" hadn't finished to make calculations and therefore the second one was still enabled. After Step1 was finished also Step2 started well.

iqbal herwata

Jun 10, 2019, 7:51:47 PM6/10/19
to SDMtoolbox
Hi Hannes,

I have similar issue wit you. how do you know the "Step1_Otimize_MaxEnt_Model_Parameters.bat" is finish to make calculations? Because in my process of Step1_Otimize_MaxEnt_Model_Parameters.bat" is finished, but still I can't run the step 2.

error screenshoot.docx

Amna R

Jul 8, 2020, 3:43:55 AM7/8/20
to SDMtoolbox
I have the same problem, step1 did not finish running and when I run step2 .bat I got the message can not run on my PC and I need to check with the software publisher. Please help.
Amna

刘铭

Jul 8, 2020, 6:41:02 AM7/8/20
to SDMtoolbox
Hi Amna,
What a coincidence, I also have the same problem in my model this afternoon, and I received your mail when I went to bed. My problem has resolved, because I  found that I got the folder of the environment factor wrong and ran the TIF file into the model by mistake. I ran the model again, it worked beautifully. If you have some more questions, you can mail me in any time. I just think that in this world, someone has the same mistake in different spaces at the same time, which is really interesting. You can call me Jiming. Wish your model success.

Hamidah Mamat

Sep 21, 2020, 3:53:53 AM9/21/20
to SDMtoolbox
Hi everyone,

I have been stuck to run Step2_Run_Optimized_MaxEnt_Models. For information, I can run step 1 and currently I’m using Windows 10 and ArcGIS 9.4. The error message that came out when I tried to run was  “This apps can’t run on you PC. To find a version for your PC, check with the software publisher”.

Please help me solve this challenge.

Jason L. Brown (creator of SDMtoolbox)

Sep 22, 2020, 2:50:52 PM9/22/20
to SDMtoolbox
As far as I know- SDMtoolbox is not compatible with ArcGIS 9.  However, the error you mention has to do with Windows security or your antivirus.   The toolbox creates a '.bat' file which can be mistaken as a virus (here it is batch file to run the syntax for modeling).

Hamidah Mamat

Sep 22, 2020, 11:17:19 PM9/22/20
to SDMtoolbox
Dear Jason.
Thank you for your reply and explanation. I tried to log in as an admin on my laptop, but I'm still stuck. Do I need to temporarily remove my antivirus to ensure Step2 can be executed.

Regards.
Hamidah

Jason L. Brown (creator of SDMtoolbox)

Sep 23, 2020, 11:02:17 AM9/23/20
to SDMtoolbox
Okay, the other cause of this error - as mentioned by others - is due to the batch file not being created. When 'Step 1' begins, it creates an empty file that is populated with appropriate code as step 1 finished.   See if the file size is zero, if so, there is an issue with step 1.   Please run example data to self troubleshoot. However, given you are on ArcGIS 9- I cannot troubleshoot this further, as it is quite likely that SDMtoolbox doesn't function properly due to differences due to different Arcpy functions (this cannot be easily fixed).
Best,
Jason

Hamidah Mamat

Sep 24, 2020, 8:57:47 PM9/24/20
to SDMtoolbox
Ok. Thank you for your reply.

Jess Phipps

Feb 21, 2021, 12:12:12 AM2/21/21
to SDMtoolbox
Hello,

I am also having the issue of Step2_Run_Optimized_MaxEnt_Models giving me the error message " This app can't run on your PC. Check with your software publisher" when working through the tutorial using the example data.

 I have windows 10 and ArcMap 10.7 and I have installed all windows updates, done a full security scan, created a new administator account and changed to delveoper mode but none of these have resolved the issue.

Does anyone have any any ideas or advice on how I can resolve this? I am a bit nervous to move onto using my own data to run models when I am having this difficulty with the example data.

Please help!

Jess Phipps

Feb 23, 2021, 6:41:40 AM2/23/21
to SDMtoolbox

I have made changes to my mal-ware to allow it to run and have now tried with example data and my own data. Each time the step 2 file is empty. I haven't suppressed warnings and no errors have come up yet each time my step 2 is empty. Do you have any suggestions as to why this is happening?

Thanks

Alba Serna F

Feb 23, 2021, 6:49:23 AM2/23/21
to SDMtoolbox
I've got the exact same problem. I checked if I have the latest version of Java (I do) and all but Step1 batch file keeps not adding anything into Step2 batch file, which remains at a file size of 0kB... I'm working with the example_data and ArcMap 10.7 on Windows 10.
Any ideas on how to solve it?
Thanks!
Alba

Alba Serna F

Feb 23, 2021, 6:53:03 AM2/23/21
to SDMtoolbox
Additionally, I've realised that the CSV of model results "Furcifer_pardalis_SUMSTATS_RANKED_MODELS.csv" is not being created for either of the species.. Only the "Furcifer_pardalis_SUMSTATS_ALL.csv" is created. Any clue on why is this happening?

Jason L. Brown (creator of SDMtoolbox)

Feb 23, 2021, 12:14:19 PM2/23/21
to SDMtoolbox

Okay, I have tried this process on two computers with Windows 10 - ArcGIS 10.8 and one computer with Windows 10 - ArcGIS 10.7 and everything worked.  Thus, unfortunately, it looks like you may be inputting something incorrectly (vs. a software error).

I suggest you try the following (In order):
For standard troubleshooting, start with the '12 commandments of SDMtoolbox'
  1. Do not include spaces in path or file names
  2. Avoid non-alphanumeric characters in file names, headings and table values
    • avoid: * : \ / < > | ” ? [ ] ; = + & £ $ , etc
  3. Make sure Spatial Analyst extension is turned on (see ‘A First Run‘ for details on this)
  4. Do not install an alternative version of Python
  5. Have an appropriate ArcGIS license
    • For full functionality, ArcMap version MUST be Standard or Advance license level with Spatial Analyst Extension
  6. If any tools are not working and some of the GIS files are on a network drive, switch all files to a local drive

Specific to this tool:

1) trying using the example data in the MaxEnt Gui (basically select the occurrence points and environment data and run the program).    If you have an error - troubleshoot this.  If it works, then look at your input settings in SDMtoolbox.

2) make sure you are selecting the folded with BIAS files in SDMtoolbox in inputs.

3) make sure you have proper ArcGIS licenses. ***For full functionality, ArcMap version MUST be Standard or Advance license level with Spatial Analyst Extension. Some tools remain functional with a Basic license level, but many will fail).

4) Post input parameter text here (open the ".SDMtoolbox" file in a text editor) and paste contents here.

Alba Serna F

Feb 24, 2021, 4:07:03 AM2/24/21
to SDMtoolbox
Hi Jason,
Thank you very much for your swift reply! It was very helpful!

It finally worked for me after doing some changes in the procedure: I moved the data to the local disk (C:\ , although I was previously working on another local drive, disk D:\ in which I was also following the 12 commandments rules, but I don't think this was the issue since both of them are local). After some attempts it worked when using the original points (not rarified --> "C:\SDM\example_data\SDM_analyses\_MaxEnt_modeling\occurence_points.csv") and leaving the "layers in environmental data folder to exlcude" empty. I left the rest of parameters as in the tutorial video. I don't know if these last two setting changes were the ones that made the difference or not..

Anyways, at least I got the results for the example data, now I'm going to try doing it with my own data.

Again, thanks a lot for your help.
Alba

Emily

Feb 27, 2021, 7:11:36 PM2/27/21
to SDMtoolbox
Hi all,
I am having the same problem, but haven't found the issue yet. I have gone through just about every troubleshooting idea I can think of, and none have fixed the issue (ie. the Step 2 batch file is still empty and won't run). The strange thing is, I didn't have problems before when I last ran the tool in January. Here is what I've tried (with no success):
  • checked Arc software is compatible (yes - ArcMap 10.7)
  • checked for correct inputs (yes)
  • checked that file paths follow conventions (yes)
  • checked for antivirus or security blocks (none)
  • tried example data (done but unsuccessful)
  • tried example data saved on Desktop (done but unsuccessful)
I would be so grateful for any advice!

Thank you,
Emily

Emily

Feb 28, 2021, 7:18:20 PM2/28/21
to SDMtoolbox
Update: I resolved the issue. I think the problem was that my files were not in a local directory. Hope this experience proves useful to someone else should they have the same problem.