Generating an Entries File

Eddie Rowe

Jun 28, 2016, 1:03:36 PM6/28/16
to SDIF Forum
Using the advice and collective knowledge of this forum, I worked to create an entries file programmatically from DB data.  I sent it to a guy with MM installed and asked him to attempt to import it.  He got this error:

"Not an Active Hy-Tek created .HY3 file !"

What I was expecting would happen given this was my first attempt to actually get MM to read the file was to get a checksum error.  Does anyone have any ideas how I could resolve this error?

Mike Walsh

Jun 28, 2016, 3:47:59 PM6/28/16
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com
Trial and error.  Lots of trial and error.  When I did this for my WordPress plugin I had access to both TM and MM.  It would have been impossible to do it without.

I ended up creating very small datasets in both TM and MM and then doing the same in my own code and using WinMerge to compare the two.  In most cases my problem wasn't with the checksum but with missing fields in the record or using the wrong value in a record.

Mike

Sent from my iPhone

Eddie Rowe

Jun 29, 2016, 10:21:34 AM6/29/16
to SDIF Forum
Would it be too much to ask for you to look at the attached file and tell me if you see anything glaring?  I don't see any material differences in format between this file and one created by TM.

Eddie
3AWest_Test.hy3

Mason Hale

Jun 29, 2016, 11:06:10 AM6/29/16
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com
Hi Eddie --

One thing I notice off the bat is that you are missing the line ending characters (CRLF) on the last line of the file.

That could throw things off. Also keep in mind the file encoding for the file must be ISO-8859-1. I don't think that would trip up this file as it all looks like ASCII characters.

Hope that helps.

Mason

Bob Goudreau

Jun 29, 2016, 11:19:52 AM6/29/16
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com

Eddie, I experimented with your file and found that the problem seems to lie in the A1 record (the first line). When I replaced it with an A1 record from an entries file created by Team Manager for a meet of my own, MM was able to import your entries (albeit with a huge exception report since I don’t happen to have a meet database which matches the events layout of an NCHSAA meet).

It’s not clear to me which component of your A1 record MM objects to, but I would guess it’s one or more of the company name, software name/version, or the licensing field. For reference, here’s the valid A1 record which I glued successfully into your file:

A102Meet Entries             Hy-Tek, Ltd    Win-TM 6.0Ge  06212016  1:13 PMKildaire Farms Swim Team                             75

Bob

Mason Hale

Jun 29, 2016, 11:28:23 AM6/29/16
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com
The data in columns 30-45 must be "Hy-Tek, Ltd" or Hy-Tek software will refuse to load the file.

Mason

Eddie Rowe

Jun 29, 2016, 12:25:41 PM6/29/16
to SDIF Forum
Could I impose on you to change only that portion of the file and let me know if the file will load?

Bob Goudreau

Jun 29, 2016, 1:57:36 PM6/29/16
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com

Changing the company name as Mason indicated (along with recalculating the checksum, of course) was sufficient to get MM to accept it. Here’s the new A1 record that it accepted:

A102Meet Entries             Hy-Tek, Ltd    NCPS 0.1      06292016 12:53AMUnlicensed                                           98

Bob

Eddie Rowe

Jun 29, 2016, 2:09:27 PM6/29/16
to SDIF Forum
Awesome!  Thanks so much to everyone for their input.

For those interested, I have done this in a PERL implementation which I'm more than happy to share.  I've built this is as a means to get our state athletic association away from DirectAthletics.  All meet results will be collected through this clearinghouse, certified by officials and used by coaches from which to select their qualifying entries for the high school regional meets.  Finally got the most arcane part out of the way with everyone's help.  Thanks again!

Eddie

Gaetano Disalvo

Jun 29, 2016, 6:36:51 PM6/29/16
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com
You should post it anyway for future readers.

Gaetano

Eddie Rowe

Jun 30, 2016, 5:40:14 PM6/30/16
to SDIF Forum
Of course.  Here's the PM.
HYTEK.pm

Eddie Rowe

Jan 21, 2018, 10:02:19 PM1/21/18
to SDIF Forum
Having successfully produced a HyTek readable entries file in the past, I thought I was home free.  However, my elation was short lived.  We're doing a large-scale (entire classification) pilot this year, and the file that's created isn't being read properly.  Can someone take a peek and tell me if they see anything glaring out of place?  I'm using the same programming solution as the one that created the working file which is what's so puzzling.

Thanks,
Eddie
NCHSAA_2018_4A_West_Regional_Entries_Test_5.hy3