Non-numeric Event Numbers in HYV file?

Mike Walsh

Feb 1, 2014, 10:53:43 AM2/1/14
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com
I received a query from a team who is using my wp-SwimTeam WordPress plugin regarding problems they're having importing a HYV file.  I asked them to send me the HYV file which contains event numbers that are non-numeric.

Here is a portion of the HYV file:

Wandsworth Swimming Club Championships 2013;10/05/2013;11/30/2013;12/31/2013;S;Rainbow Leisure Centre;;Hy-Tek Sports Software;4.0Eg;CY;7166n
1A;F;F;I;8;8;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1B;F;M;I;8;8;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1C;F;F;I;9;9;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1D;F;M;I;9;9;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1E;F;F;I;10;10;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1F;F;M;I;10;10;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1G;F;F;I;11;11;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1H;F;M;I;11;11;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1I;F;F;I;12;12;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1J;F;M;I;12;12;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1K;F;F;I;13;13;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1L;F;M;I;13;13;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1M;F;F;I;14;14;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1N;F;M;I;14;14;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1O;F;F;I;15;15;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1P;F;M;I;15;15;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1Q;F;F;I;16;16;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1R;F;M;I;16;16;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1S;F;F;I;17;0;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;
1T;F;M;I;17;0;200;4;;;;3;;;;;;

I am certainly not an expert but I've seen quite a few swim meet files but never encountered one with event numbers like this.  When I asked the person who contacted me why they were numbered this way this is the response I got:

I don't know why it's formatted that way.
I asked our Chairman about the format when I first encountered the error. His response was, "The format 1A etc is used for each age group in TM.  So if an event is set up in MM to be scored for ages 9 to 15&Over. It will be set up as 7 different events in TM starting with the event number and then A through G for the seven age groups."

Is this something that is fixed in TM and MM, or is the formatting set by the user?
What format do you use/would you recommend to use instead?

So having never encountered non-numeric event numbers my WordPress plugin doesn't handle them.  In fact, the database table is set up for numbers only.  Adapting to non-numeric event numbers is a signigicant change for me and before I take it on, I want to understand how common this is and is the swim team I received this HYV from doing something normal or something atypical?

It looks to me like they have their age groups set up wrong but as this team is outside the US, they almost certainly have different ways of doing things.

Thoughts?

Mike

--
Mike Walsh - mpwa...@gmail.com

Troy DeLano

Feb 1, 2014, 11:14:12 AM2/1/14
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com
I see this quite often in the YMCA league we are in.  Often to create an event with multiple strokes.   For example providing a 200 open event at a meet were there are not a lot of swimmers.  It would go something like 101A Girls 200 Free, 101B Girls 200 Back,   101C Girls 200 Breast and 101D Girls 200 Fly.  Event 102 would be set up similar for the boys.  The swimmer can be entered in the specific stroke but at the meet it is consolidated.

Sent from my iPhone

Troy DeLano

Feb 1, 2014, 12:08:04 PM2/1/14
to SDIF Forum

D1F   43Swabb               Emma                                    E         E1F   43SwabbFF   200B  0109      0.00  1B       0Y  147.22Y                   E1F   43SwabbFF   100A 13109      0.00 25        0Y   57.44Y                   E1F   43SwabbFF   100D 13109      0.00 33        0Y   67.94Y
In an entry (HY3) file, the character is after the right justified event number (event 1B shown).

Delbraeth

Feb 1, 2014, 12:25:19 PM2/1/14
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com, SDIF Forum
I use this quite often for high school meets where event 1J would be the JV equivalent  of the varsity heat

Patrick Cassidy

Mason Hale

Feb 1, 2014, 1:00:24 PM2/1/14
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com
I see this quite often from teams using SwimTopia.
Some leagues will run "multi-age group" events, where they might be swum as one event, say #7, but where the results (and entries) are in sub-groups like 7A, 7B, 7C

I'd also suggest focusing on the newer ev3 format over the older hyv. It has more detail, in particular for these multi-age group events one field includes the "parent event" number, say '7', and a separate field has the entry/result event number like 7A, 7B and so on.

My suggestion to handle this would be to store the digit and alpha portion of the event number separately, because you have different data validation constraints (the alpha can be null, the digit cannot), and you want to sort first by digit, then by alpha. Lumping them into a single varchar field won't yield the expected sort order, e.g. event 11 would come after 1 but before 1A if sorted strictly alphabetically.

Good luck.

Mason

Mason Hale
CEO & Founder

Managing a swim team just got a whole lot easier

Mike Walsh

Feb 1, 2014, 1:32:35 PM2/1/14
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com

I appreciate all of the feedback and it looks like these sort of event numbers are more common than I had thought.

Mason – your idea to add another field for the suffix is a great idea.  It is similar, and better, than what I had thought of doing earlier today when I was thinking about this while doing some yardwork.  Adding an extra field is simple and will have little impact as it will be “optional”.

Thanks,

Mike

Mike Walsh

Feb 2, 2014, 12:54:11 PM2/2/14
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com
Is the character limited to a single character or could I have something like "3AA"?

Mason Hale

Feb 2, 2014, 1:12:30 PM2/2/14
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com
It's one character A-Z