.SD3 file with results from multiple meets? Trying to import in to Team Unify.

Mark Leman

Sep 8, 2017, 9:42:55 AM9/8/17
to SDIF Forum
Hi Folks,
Has anyone ever seen a .sd3 file with the results from multiple meets in it?

I have a CSV file of our club results and wish to import this in to Team Unify.
Unfortunately they don't import CSV, so rather than type 15158 results from 479 meets in I wrote a utility to convert CSV to .sd3.

Sadly TU report a problem with my file, I have checked the file with various utilities (SDIFChecker_v3,SDIF_PRO and a spreadsheet I have that inspects lines from a .sd3 file) and they pass it, so it must be a subtle mismatch between what I have generated and what TU expects.

If I process a single meet the file imports fine, it is just multiple meets in one file it does not like.

I am now wondering if more than one meet result is allowed in a file after all.

I had looked at the format of the Z0 record and includes "INT number of different meets" which implies it does,
however the spec for the "meet pyramid" says "B1-Meet Record one per file, contains data on type of meet, location, dates of competition." which contradicts!

I had constructed my file with the following records:

A0... file description

B1.... Meet Record, details of meet 1
B2
C1... Details of our club
C2
D0... first result (followed by a D3 if it was the first time that swimmer appeared)
D0 .. second result...
D0... and so on...

B1.... Meet Record, details of meet 2
B2
C1... Details of our club
C2
D0... first result (followed by a D3 if it was the first time that swimmer appeared)
D0 .. second result...
D0... and so on....

B1.... Meet Record, details of meet 3
B2
C1... Details of our club
C2
D0... first result (followed by a D3 if it was the first time that swimmer appeared)
D0 .. second result...
D0... and so on...

... and so on for each meet

Z0 File Terminator Record

TU's option to import .sd3 files via their web interface reports "The import file cannot contain multiple meets." when I upload the file, but they told me they could accept the file my email and enter it via their back end. However this did not work and they have not been able to tell me what the actual error is or give me a clue as to what to fix.

Fall back would be to modify my utility to convert the CSV in to 479 separate .sd3 files and then import each of them, bit of a PITA but still better than typing in 15158  results ;-)

Any thoughts received with thanks.

Regards,
Mark Leman

mpwa...@gmail.com

Sep 8, 2017, 5:45:34 PM9/8/17
to SDIF Forum

It’s been a while since I looked at one of these but my initial reaction was there can only be one meet in a file.

Reading the SDIF specification, I think it is pretty clear that any one file can only support one meet as the Meet Pyramid clearly says there can only be one A0, one B1, and one Z0 record per file (see Page 9 - http://www.winswim.com/ftp/Standard%20Data%20Interchange%20Format.pdf).

Maybe you can send 479 files to TU and ask them to import them for you.  Doesn’t seem like an unreasonable request.

Mike

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

Dave Owens

Sep 8, 2017, 11:31:55 PM9/8/17
to sdif-...@googlegroups.com
Former TeamUnify employee here... I seem to remember that multiple meets were imported from Team Manager backups using an internal tool.

The SDIF spec does indeed only allow for one meet per file. TU's back end tool may have been able to parse multiple meets in one sdif file, and only if everything was just right in that file. That tool may be expecting a multi meet sdif file from a very specific source ;-)

My suggestion is to have your utility export individual files, test importing one, then ask TU to import the rest.

Let me know if you have trouble getting traction with TU... I may be able to help.

Dave

Visit this group at https://groups.google.com/group/sdif-forum.

Mark Leman

Sep 13, 2017, 11:23:27 AM9/13/17
to SDIF Forum
Hi Mike,
Thank you for the response.
I had noticed the spec said only once meet in the file, but then strangely the Z0 contradicts. Always fun when the standards spec contradicts ;-)
In the end I modified my converter to make seperate .sd3 files for each meet, and while I was at it I added look ahead through the results to find the meet end date which made the results files a little more complete.

>Maybe you can send 479 files to TU and ask them to import them for you.  Doesn’t seem like an unreasonable request.

TU did offer to import them all for me after the weekend, however I beat them to it using a 'mouse moment ' recorder to capture me importing one and then I left the computer to it, repeating my actions n times. Not elegant but got the job done.

Regards,
Mark Leman

Mark Leman

Sep 13, 2017, 11:38:49 AM9/13/17
to SDIF Forum
Hi Dave,
Thank you for the response.

>The SDIF spec does indeed only allow for one meet per file. TU's back end tool may have been able to parse multiple meets in one sdif file, and only if everything was just right in that file. That tool may be expecting a multi meet sdif file from a very specific source ;-)

TU did try to import my multi-meet file, but it was rejected by the import utility, sadly they could not tell me exactly what was wrong which is a shame because I would have liked to fix it. I guess if the requirement was to import from a 'specific source' it might have had some quirks that I did not implement.

>My suggestion is to have your utility export individual files, test importing one, then ask TU to import the rest.
Pretty much what I ended up having to do  (see my earlier reply to Mike Walsh)

>Let me know if you have trouble getting traction with TU... I may be able to help.
Thank you for the offer, the TU support people are responsive even if they can't always solve my problems. So far I equally love and hate TU, some bits are very straightforward and well laid-out, other areas frustratingly jumbled and hard to find. I must be careful not to fall into the trap of "it's different so its wrong", so I will stick with learning, once I have been using TU for longer it would be more fair to make judgement ;-). It appears TU are making a push to market in the UK, and some aspects don't work so well here e.g. about 2/3 of meets here are run using Sportsystems software and TU does not input Sportsystems meet definition files or output their entry files yet, this is going to cause quite a lot of grief.

Regards,
Mark Leman