Importing HY3 Files into R

John Golliher

Oct 31, 2019, 11:08:51 AM10/31/19
to SDIF Forum
Hi,

My name is John Golliher. I am an Undergraduate Manager with Tennessee Swimming and Diving and a Business Analytics student at the University of Tennessee. I am working on a data project that involves collecting and analyzing a large amount of swim data to try and understand what characteristics are shared by some of the best swimmers. Part of this project involves looking at race analytics. For our home meets, I am able to obtain the MeetManager database which I can export as an Access file and import into R, which is a statistical program we use in school. However, for our away meets, I am usually unable to obtain the MeetManager database as many opposing teams are unwilling to give me a copy of it.

However, I am able to obtain the .HY3 and .CL2 files. TeamManager's export options are not exactly clean and the Generic Database export option in TM does not include splits, which is something I am very interested in. For the past week I have been working on some code to read the .HY3 files, but I am hitting a few brick walls. Specifically, I am having problems reading the second line of splits for longer races and matching them with the athlete's race.

If anyone is familiar with R or Python, I am using a for loop to go through each line of the .HY3 file and use the LineNO to identify the type of line it is and then use the HyTek Line format guide that was published on this forum to extract information based on character position.

Essentially what I want to do is store all the information from the D1 line through the second G1 line into one row. Then the next D1 to G1 section would be stored in another row.

Any ideas or pointers?

Eddie Rowe

Oct 31, 2019, 5:11:29 PM10/31/19
to SDIF Forum
Email me for a script that reads hy3.

Perl and python are close enough we can translate it

Eddie Rowe

Oct 31, 2019, 5:12:29 PM10/31/19
to SDIF Forum
Meaning, I've already done this exact thing in perl.