Refactor merged

Abdurrahman AVCI

Mar 5, 2013, 5:37:22 AM3/5/13
to sde-...@googlegroups.com
Hi,

I have finally managed to push the refactor upstream.

There are lots of changes made:

* Introduced a display class which ties the display server, greeter etc together. This is a prerequisite for multi-seat support.

* Instead of one monolithic executable, we now have two split ones. One as daemon, other as the greeter. This was necessary to solve not being able to create multiple QApplications inside the same process. Now both the daemon and the greeter are regular Qt applications. So, we can rely on Qt signals, use QProcess etc in the backend too. Communication between the daemon and the greeter is done through local sockets. This is needed for multi-seat too.

* Much better overall structure. Now source files for the backend and front end are in their respective folders. So, we have two smaller applications that are easier to understand/contribute. Being able to use Qt signals and slots made things a lot easier to understand too.

* Better logging. I have added a lot more debugging info and checks all over the codebase. Also in Qt5 we tap into the debug calls and save them to a log file.

* Added a test mode with Xephyr. This is a more realistic test mode then simply showing the greeter.

Most of the ideas are from the hawaii login manager.

There may be some regressions. Please test and report, even better contribute fixes. :)