Grass growing in terrestrial orchid pot

Barbara Crawford

Sep 23, 2021, 7:04:24 PM9/23/21
to SDCOS Orchid Doctor
1D5EEDB5-45A5-49FD-AF6B-B6DACEAB2C3C.jpeg4524D1C8-5E16-447F-981F-7B74DB075587.jpegI am looking for a solution, literally, to help me banish persistent grass from the thickly growing terrestrial orchid in a small pot in my yard. Is there something I can pour on or spray on that will inhibit the grass without hurting the orchid? Garden centers have said no, but perhaps orchid experts have a trick. All I can do is attentively hand-pull the weed out, which is no solution at all.

Thank you,

Barbara Crawford

Deborah Halliday

Sep 23, 2021, 8:49:12 PM9/23/21
to SDCOS Orchid Doctor
I'm sorry to say that most things that would kill the grass would likely harm your very happy looking orchids.  One option might be to repot them, and to pull all the grass out by the roots as you change to new medium.  Sometimes that's the only way to get rid of persistent weeds.