Help - I accidentally snapped my Phal Flower Spike!

Lois Shelton

Jan 25, 2020, 10:08:16 PM1/25/20
to sdcos-orc...@googlegroups.com, Lois Shelton
Greetings!
I accidentally snapped off my Phal's flower spike as I was trying to train it. The spike is fairly new with no buds or flowers yet - it's about six inches long. The break occurred between two of the nodules. I've heard that if you cut flower spikes just above one of the nodules, then the spike may grow another spike with flowers. Shall I trim the remaining spike down or just let my lovely plant be?

Your advice is greatly appreciated!

Sincerely,
Lois

Deborah Halliday

Jan 26, 2020, 8:54:18 PM1/26/20
to Lois Shelton, sdcos-orc...@googlegroups.com
Let your lovely plant be.  It will very likely sprout a branch from the broken spike.  When an orchid is trying to produce flowers, it is not easily derailed.  In the future, wait until your spike is long enough to be flexible before you try to train it.

The best news is that you have a new spike, so you must be doing a good job of growing your plant!

Debby

Lois Shelton

Jan 27, 2020, 3:49:13 AM1/27/20
to Deborah Halliday, sdcos-orc...@googlegroups.com
Debby,

Thank you so much! I will leave my plant alone and be super careful with any new spikes.

Sincerely,
Lois