Scale?

D.J. Feuerborn

Oct 7, 2021, 12:43:19 PM10/7/21
to SDCOS Orchid Doctor
Hello. I did not see this happening. Bad me. I am guessing it's scale? Will using a herbicide take care of further infestation? I'm so sad I missed this. IMG_0899.jpeg

Deborah Halliday

Oct 7, 2021, 2:53:29 PM10/7/21
to SDCOS Orchid Doctor
Yes, this is scale.  Looks like Boisduvale to me.  You should spray with a systemic insecticide like Imidicloprid.  Then get out your old soft toothbrush and scrub them all off.  Next, carefully inspect the plant especially leaf axles and low on the rhizome.  You are looking for white fluffy looking patches which are the immature and male insects.  Spray and scrub there too if you see anything.  Check surrounding plants as these bugs do travel.