F4 Macro

aleksand...@gmail.com

May 19, 2024, 8:29:35 AMMay 19
to SDC Software Defined Connectors

Hi,

I think there was a discussion that after hitting F4
the focus should be transferred to the next cell in the New QSO window.

If I remember well, Yuri said he would produce a macro
which could be put under F4 to facilitate such a focus transfer.

Could You, please, advise what the spelling of the macro is?

Best regards,
Alec

Rich McCabe

May 19, 2024, 8:34:34 AMMay 19
to aleksand...@gmail.com, SDC Software Defined Connectors
Sounds like you are talking about "fast ESM" found in contest settings.

May 19, 2024, 8:53:47 AMMay 19
to SDC Software Defined Connectors

Rich,

I do not think it is

I am talking about situations when, for a zillion of reasons,
one starts calling the station with F4 macro and the cursor/focus stays
in the CALL cell (or any other, except for the EXCHANGE).

The called station responds,
and If the focus is not transferred to the EXCHANGE field in time,
then the exchange is not grabbed automatically and situation gets complicated.

So, I think there should be some sort of a macro available
which upon hitting F4 would make SDC willing to grab the exchange,
as I gather the present scenario allows to auto-grab the exchange
only when the Exchange field stays in focus.

Is there such a macro available,
please?

Best regards,
Alec

I am talking about situations when, for a zillion of reasons,
one starts calling the station with F4 macro and the cursor/focus stays
in the CALL cell (or any other, except for the EXCHANGE).

)))
Where did the notion that after pressing F4, the cursor must be transferred somewhere?
Alec, there is a system ESM (Enter Send Message) which after pressing Enter itself determines the field where it should move the cursor. If you need to handle some situation manually, there are F1-F12 buttons.
movecursor.png

Rich McCabe

May 19, 2024, 9:22:18 AMMay 19
to aleksand...@gmail.com, SDC Software Defined Connectors
Did you have any success with grabbing exchange during PSK contest? I had minimal stations to test with but told Yuri I was not able to grab exchange which of course does not allow ESM to work properly.

Rich

Sent: Sunday, May 19, 2024 7:53:41 AM

To: SDC Software Defined Connectors <sdc-...@googlegroups.com>
Subject: Re[2]: F4 Macro

aleksand...@gmail.com

May 19, 2024, 10:20:53 AMMay 19
to SDC Software Defined Connectors

In today's PSK Contest I worked some 150 QSOs,
the exchanges approx half of which were grabbed without a problem.

There some 'stubborn' stations from which SDC could in no way grab
the exchanges, so I think maybe their exchange contained something
extra which was not visible on the screen.

Other cases, I'd say, it was the F4 syndrome when focus stayed in CALL field,
with SDC, as if, unaware it is supposed to do something with correctly
just received exchange.

Generally, I am satisfied as far grabbing is concerned...

Best regards,
Alec

May 19, 2024, 10:34:04 AMMay 19
to SDC Software Defined Connectors

Yuri,

thank You.
In the case of PSK DX Contest [FTO_2] does it!

However,
You skipped the most important paragraph of my message:

The called station responds,
and If the focus is not transferred to the EXCHANGE field in time,
then the exchange is not grabbed automatically and situation gets complicated.

Or, I am wrong and SDC is supposed to grab the exchange
no matter in which field the cursor is located,
please?

Best regards,
Alec

May 19, 2024, 1:49:41 PMMay 19
to SDC Software Defined Connectors
You are not the first to try to impose this strange logic.
SDC works with a simple algorithm for making a QSO: two presses of the Enter key. Why complicate this simple process with additional keys?
I don't understand.....
воскресенье, 19 мая 2024 г. в 17:34:04 UTC+3, aleksand...@gmail.com:

aleksand...@gmail.com

May 19, 2024, 2:07:40 PMMay 19
to SDC Software Defined Connectors

Yuri,

what is that it may be difficult to understand I cannot get it, logic is simple,
it rarely happens to me that two presses of the Enter key equals a logged QSO.

If in Your case the equation is always true, it means You are an extremely lucky guy,
and that is perhaps the reason You cannot understand those who are less lucky...

In other words,
I do my utmost to implement two presses of Enter principle to start and complete a QSO.
Believe me and those like me, sometimes one needs to reach for F4 principle instead,
especially when two presses have already proven themselves ineffective...

Best regards,
Alec

May 20, 2024, 11:24:53 AMMay 20
to SDC Software Defined Connectors
Alec,

I was in the EU-PSK-DX contest over the weekend and I am using SDC with a Flex 6600. I run 90% search and pounce using keyboard shortcuts to navigate my spotlist. Most contacts are made without any difficulty.

I have F4 configured to send a single [MYCALL] and I use multiple presses of Enter to send as many repetitions of my callsign as I feel the conditions will need. I have Fast ESM enabled and I ALWAYS progress to the Exchange field after my first ESM. If the other station cannot read me and I need to send my call again, I hit space to position back to the Call field and start the ESM again (with more repetitions). I very rarely need to use F4 but you seem to be doing it often - not too sure why?

If your focus is on the Call field when the other guy sends you his exchange, you are quite right, it won't get immediately grabbed. However, if you hit Spacebar to skip to the exchange field, SDC will  perform a grab from what it has received already.  You now have the exchange populated without any further action required.

My experience of grabbing was very good in EU-PSK-DX with >95% of Exchanges being captured. On the rare occasions that some other 6 character string got captured, SDC detected that the string wasn't a valid area code and ESM would automatically send F8, to request a repeat.

The general behaviour of SDC is something that a number of us really like and I would urge you to hold off on trying to get things changed to fit your preferred way or working. Such changes might not be universally welcomed.

73 Martin - G4ENZ

aleksand...@gmail.com

May 21, 2024, 4:25:35 AMMay 21
to SDC Software Defined Connectors

Martin,

Thank You,
but I cannot find any added or useful value in Your long comment.
If others do, that is good with me...

Best regards,
Alec