Elixir driver for ScyllaDB

cristian.rosa@surhive.com

<cristian.rosa@surhive.com>
Jun 9, 2016, 10:33:52 AM6/9/16
to ScyllaDB users
Hello,

  I was wondering if there is an Erlang/Elixir driver for ScyllaDB.
I did some searches but nothing came out.
Is it really binary compatible? Can I use the current erlang driver to connect to Scylla?

Thanks
Cristian

Pekka Enberg

<penberg@scylladb.com>
Jun 9, 2016, 10:39:17 AM6/9/16
to ScyllaDB users, cristian.rosa@surhive.com
Hi Christian,
Yes, Scylla is binary compatible with Cassandra CQL drivers.

I am not an expert on Erlang or Elixir so I have not tested it myself
but the following driver should work:

https://github.com/matehat/cqerl

If you experience problems, please report back and we'll get them fixed for you.

- Pekka

Cristian Rosa

<cristian.rosa@surhive.com>
Jun 9, 2016, 10:52:01 AM6/9/16
to Pekka Enberg, ScyllaDB users
Hi Pekka,

Yes, Scylla is binary compatible with Cassandra CQL drivers.

I am not an expert on Erlang or Elixir so I have not tested it myself
but the following driver should work:

https://github.com/matehat/cqerl

If you experience problems, please report back and we'll get them fixed for you.

I'll try that driver and keep you posted.
Thanks
Cristian

cristian.rosa@surhive.com

<cristian.rosa@surhive.com>
Jun 10, 2016, 1:40:51 PM6/10/16
to ScyllaDB users, penberg@scylladb.com, cristian.rosa@surhive.com
Hello,

  I have been trying to connect to Scylladb from Erlang using the following line:

{:ok, client} = :cqerl.new_client({}, [{:protocol_version, 3}])

but I am getting a timeout.
I know that scylladb is running because I can connect using cqlsh.
  Is there a way to check if there are any incoming connection to the database? I would like to be sure that the erlang program is actually reaching it (although both run locally).

Thanks
Cristian

Pekka Enberg

<penberg@scylladb.com>
Jun 11, 2016, 3:16:02 AM6/11/16
to cristian.rosa@surhive.com, ScyllaDB users
On Fri, Jun 10, 2016 at 8:40 PM, <cristi...@surhive.com> wrote:
> I have been trying to connect to Scylladb from Erlang using the following
> line:
>
> {:ok, client} = :cqerl.new_client({}, [{:protocol_version, 3}])
>
> but I am getting a timeout.
> I know that scylladb is running because I can connect using cqlsh.
> Is there a way to check if there are any incoming connection to the
> database? I would like to be sure that the erlang program is actually
> reaching it (although both run locally).

Three options: (1) use scyllatop and watch for the
transport.connections.* counters, (2) set "--default-log-level" to
"debug" or even "trace", or (3) use wireshark to watch the CQL traffic
to port 9042.

Btw, If you are able to share the example program and instructions how
to run it, I can also have a look at it myself.

- Pekka

Pekka Enberg

<penberg@scylladb.com>
Jul 21, 2016, 8:12:44 AM7/21/16
to cristian.rosa@surhive.com, ScyllaDB users
Ping! Any updates on this Erlang driver issue?

Cristian Rosa

<cristian.rosa@surhive.com>
Jul 21, 2016, 8:57:46 AM7/21/16
to Pekka Enberg, ScyllaDB users
Hi

Ping! Any updates on this Erlang driver issue?

I finally ended up using cassandra because I was a bit tight on time, but I suspect I was using the driver in the wrong way.
I'll try again and post an update on the issue.
Thanks for asking.

Cristian

staple pin

<staplepin2000@gmail.com>
Oct 30, 2021, 8:12:11 PM10/30/21
to ScyllaDB users
has anyone managed to get this to work ? 😂

Dor Laor

<dor@scylladb.com>
Oct 31, 2021, 2:34:22 AM10/31/21
to ScyllaDB users
There was a good report on the slack that an  Elixir cpp wrapper works well:

The key plan is to use our Rust driver as a base for several other drivers
and have them wrap it [1]. Volunteers are welcome. We're wrapping a new
cpp driver over Rust now.