Last week in scylla.git master (issue #138; 2022-07-17)

Avi Kivity

<avi@scylladb.com>
Jul 17, 2022, 4:52:54 AM7/17/22
to ScyllaDB users, scylladb-dev
This short report brings to light some interesting commits to scylla.git master from the last weeks. Commits in the a7fa29bceb..4bfcead2ba range are covered.

There were 96 non-merge commits from 17 authors in that period. Some notable commits:

Reads and writes no longer use C++ exceptions to communicate timeouts. Since C++ exceptions are very slow, this reduces CPU consumption and allows an overloaded node to retain throughput for requests that do succeed ("goodput").

Scylla documentation has been moved from the scylla-docs.git repository to scylla.git. This will allow us to provide versioned documentation.

Major compaction will now happen using maintenance scheduling (so its CPU and I/O consumption will be limited), and regular compaction of sstables created since it was started will be allowed. This will reduce read amplification while a major compaction is ongoing.

The Seastar I/O scheduler was adjusted to allow higher latency on slower disks, in order to avoid a crash on startup or just slow throughput.

See you in the next issue of last week in scylla.git master!