UC Santa Cruz student in landmark rape claim says professor plied her with wine

Leroy N. Soetoro

Feb 3, 2017, 4:11:05 PM2/3/17
http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/02/02/a-student-claimed-her-college-could-
have-prevented-her-rape-she-is-awarded-1-5-million-settlement/

A former University of California, Santa Cruz, student has been awarded
$1.5 million to settle her claim that she was a raped by one of her
professors in 2015 – and that the university neglected to stop him,
despite knowing he had a history of pursuing students. It is thought to be
among the largest Title IX settlements in United States history, attorneys
said Tuesday.

On June 13, 2015, Luz Portillo was a 21-year-old senior at the university
– set to graduate the following day – when an assistant professor took her
wine-tasting “under the pretext of celebrating their graduation and the
completion of their senior research,” according to her claim. They were
accompanied by another student who was also a university employee, her
claim stated.
While at the Loma Prieta Winery, the professor encouraged Portillo “to
consume large quantities of wine, causing her to become severely
intoxicated and lose her memory,” the claim said.

According to the claim, the three returned to the home of the student-
employee, where they encouraged Portillo to drink more wine – then
“engaged in nonconsensual sex acts with Portillo, who was severely
intoxicated to the point she was not fully conscious.”

Though publications generally do not identify victims of sexual assault,
Portillo has come forward publicly and spoken with news outlets. Her
attorneys also identified Portillo in their announcement.

“Sexual assault has been a very common theme in higher education, and it
should not be happening,” Portillo told the San Francisco Chronicle. “If
me coming forward helps any other victim, that’s the best thing I could
have done.”

Though she reported her rape to the school, Portillo said the university
officials did little to help, according to BuzzFeed News. She spent what
should have been her graduation day at a hospital, while the professor
participated in the ceremonies.

“He emceed our graduation ceremony the next day, which I didn’t make,”
Portillo told the news site. “It was surreal.”

BuzzFeed reported the settlement was made before a civil lawsuit or
criminal charges were filed.

University officials released a statement Tuesday saying the school had
immediately removed the professor from campus and prohibited him from
contacting students after the allegations were made last year. It also
launched a Title X investigation, as required by federal law. Title X
prohibits gender discrimination, including sexual harassment, at schools
that receive federal funding for educational activities or programs.

“As soon as these allegations were reported, the campus acted swiftly to
address the victim’s claims, which appeared to be clear violations of the
UC Santa Cruz policy on sexual violence and sexual harassment,” the
statement from university chancellor George Blumenthal and executive vice
chancellor Herbert Lee read. “The safety of our students is our top
priority, and these alarming allegations demanded immediate attention.”

The professor resigned from the university on June 1, 2016, the statement
said. It also noted the university had avoided public comment until the
attorney’s announcement Tuesday to protect Portillo’s privacy.

“This case reminds us that we – faculty, staff, and students – each have
responsibilities toward building a safe, supportive campus community,” the
statement said. “We will continue to strive to protect our students and
ensure that victims receive all the support services we have in place.”

Portillo’s attorneys disagreed, saying in its statement that “like many
other higher institutions, UCSC looked the other way when it became aware
[the professor] was hunting undergraduates.” Portillo claimed the
university knew of the professor’s reputation but there still was “no
attempt to protect subsequent students,” her attorneys said.

Portillo told BuzzFeed that the professor was known to date other students
and once “moved the class to a bar.”

“No amount of money will make her whole,” attorney John Kristensen said.
“No apology will come close to being considered sufficient. Ms. Portillo,
a promising future lawyer, was scarred for life because UCSC failed to
comply with its own regulations and other rules governing higher education
entities. This case is emblematic of the crisis of sexual assault on
female students at our nation’s institutions of higher learning.”

Kristensen told The Post on Wednesday that Portillo had filed a police
report but the district attorney never pressed charges.

The attorneys noted that the amount exceeded the $950,000 that Florida
State University agreed to pay last year in a civil case against Tampa Bay
Buccaneers quarterback Jameis Winston. At the time, that figure was the
largest ever for Title X claims of indifference to the sexual assault of a
student, The Post reported.

The case is one of several in recent years to raise questions about sexual
assault on college campuses. Last year, a sexual assault that took place
near a Stanford University fraternity house in 2015 gained nationwide
attention after the survivor – known only as “Jane Doe” – wrote a
wrenching impact statement directed at her rapist, Brock Turner, in court.

Turner was convicted of sexual assault and sentenced to six months in
jail. His punishment was widely criticized for being too lenient and
sparked public outrage, as well as a petition to recall California
Superior Court Judge Aaron Persky.

Turner was released from a Northern California jail in early September
after serving only three months; he then moved to Ohio, where he
registered as a sex offender.

Though reports of sexual violence in the United States have fallen by more
than half since 1993, an American is sexually assaulted every two minutes,
according to statistics from the Rape Abuse Incest National Network, a
nonprofit that advocates for survivors of sex crimes.

About one of every six women in the United States (and about one in 33
men) has been the victim of an attempted or completed rape in her
lifetime, the group said.

https://img.buzzfeed.com/buzzfeed-static/static/2017-
01/31/18/asset/buzzfeed-prod-fastlane-03/sub-buzz-20383-1485906022-2.png

Zits, pimples and herpes sores around her mouth. Yeah, somebody is going
to rape that.

parade of the democrat party has run out of gas.

Congratulations President Trump. Thank you for ending the disaster of the
Obama presidency.

ObamaCare is a total 100% failure and no lie that can be put forth by its
supporters can dispute that.

Obama jobs, the result of ObamaCare. 12-15 working hours a week at minimum
wage, no benefits and the primary revenue stream for ObamaCare. It can't
be funded with money people don't have, yet liberals lie about how great
it is.

Obama increased total debt from $10 trillion to $20 trillion in the eight
years he has been in office, and sold out heterosexuals for Hollywood
queer liberal democrat donors.

With a little luck, we'll see compulsive liar Hillary Clinton in jail too.