Tips to get your windows installation going..

DaveC

Jun 26, 2011, 7:47:01 AM6/26/11
to ScrumDo-Dev
Hi, everyone:

We use windows desktops at our company, so even though we eventually
plan on running scrumdo on linux, i needed to get the development
environment working on my box.

I generally followed the posted wiki instructions, and i will not
repeat those. I also generally dont' list locations of installers-- im
sure the audience here can find them, since subminor versions might
change after i write this.

The tips below are meant to complement the posted instructions, not
replace them!

(1) installing GIT is a real pain on windows-- i skipped that and just
grabbed the latest live zipfile from the website and expanded it.

(2) install python 2.6.x Use a windows binary installer.

(3) Before you use pip to install dependencies as per posted
instructions, there are four things that you need to install first
manually:

( a ) install mysql 5.1. MAKE SURE TO INSTALL CLIENT C LIBRARIES
when you go through the installer!! You want 'community edition
version 5.1'

( b )install mysql-python. expand it into a working directory and
modify site.cfg to specify the correct mysql version for the registry
entry ( 5.1 ) . Before you go further test at the python command line
if you can import MySQLdb.

(c) install PIL. find a pre-compiled windows installer.
otherwise, c-compiler and windows hell awaits.

(d) install solr. fairly straightforward. use version 1.4. I
already had java, if you dont, use a windows installer to install java
1.6

(4) now do pip install -r requirements.txt. all of the other
dependencies worked fine for me.

(5) Create a file called local_settings.py in the scrumdo_web folder.
I just copied settings.py and deleted stuff i didnt need to change.
this file is referenced in the wiki, but it is not clear you have to
create it.

(6) create the database in mysql-- the posted instructions have mis-
matched database names and user names. change the db and usernames to
suit you as long as they match local_settings.py.

(7) create the user scrumdo uses to log in. on my installation in
windows, the steps published in the wiki were not sufficient. you need
to do 'create user 'backlog'@'localhost' identified by 'pass'. (i
hate the mysql user@hostname cr@p. talk about security run amok,
jeeze). before you go further, make sure you can log into mysql
manually using the user/pass you created. test this by doing 'mysql -u
<usernameyouspecified> -p' at a command line.

(8) as per instructions, install django 1.1.4 manually by doing pip
install -U django==1.1.4. make sure the server reports django 1.1.4
when you start up.

(9)make a batch file that starts up both solr and scrumdo. this saves
lots of time.

(10) now start everything up.

Hope this helps someone else!