Developer Environment Setup (help)

29 views
Skip to first unread message

Yarko

unread,
Jan 23, 2011, 8:00:06 PM1/23/11
to ScrumDo-Dev
I'm probably just missing something simple -

macbook-pro; python 2.6.5; virtualenvironmentwrapper;

IF I read this right, when I I go into Pinax-0.7.3-bundle, and run:

$ python scripts/pinax-boot.py ../pinax-env

I get some things put in ../pinax-env, and some in ~/pinax-env...

Giving an absolute path to pinax-boot.py seems to solve this much.

Regards,
- Yarko

Marc Hughes

unread,
Jan 23, 2011, 8:05:15 PM1/23/11
to scrum...@googlegroups.com
Hi Yarko,

I generally run it exactly as "python scripts/pinax-boot.py ../pinax-env", and I don't get anything put into ~/pinax-env, I'm not sure why you are.

Are you saying when you give an absolute path to the pinax-env it all works out?  If so I'll update the docs to mention that.

Thanks,
-Marc

Yarko Tymciurak

unread,
Jan 23, 2011, 8:23:23 PM1/23/11
to scrum...@googlegroups.com
On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Marc Hughes <marc....@scrumdo.com> wrote:
Hi Yarko,

I generally run it exactly as "python scripts/pinax-boot.py ../pinax-env", and I don't get anything put into ~/pinax-env, I'm not sure why you are.

I could run pinax-boot in wing, and check what's going on...   but, yes - this is what is happening for me (and it wasn't immediately obvious why).
 

Are you saying when you give an absolute path to the pinax-env it all works out?  If so I'll update the docs to mention that.

Let me check what / why this is going on, and report back first.... if this has something to do w/ virtualenvwrapper, or whatever - that would be worth noting... 

Thanks,
-Marc

Regards,
Yarko
 


On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 8:00 PM, Yarko <yar...@gmail.com> wrote:
I'm probably just missing something simple -

macbook-pro;  python 2.6.5; virtualenvironmentwrapper;

IF I read this right, when I I go into Pinax-0.7.3-bundle, and run:

$ python scripts/pinax-boot.py ../pinax-env

I get some things put in ../pinax-env, and some in ~/pinax-env...

Giving an absolute path to pinax-boot.py seems to solve this much.

Regards,
- Yarko




--
Regards,
- Yarko

Yarko

unread,
Jan 23, 2011, 9:17:37 PM1/23/11
to ScrumDo-Dev

On Jan 23, 7:23 pm, Yarko Tymciurak <yark...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Jan 23, 2011 at 7:05 PM, Marc Hughes <marc.hug...@scrumdo.com>wrote:
>
> > Hi Yarko,
>
> > I generally run it exactly as "python scripts/pinax-boot.py ../pinax-env",
> > and I don't get anything put into ~/pinax-env, I'm not sure why you are.
>
> I could run pinax-boot in wing, and check what's going on...   but, yes -
> this is what is happening for me (and it wasn't immediately obvious why).
>
>
>
> > Are you saying when you give an absolute path to the pinax-env it all works
> > out?  If so I'll update the docs to mention that.

OK - This is a generic problem w/ global: here is the conflict, and
what is happening:

virtualenvwrapper sets an environment variable, PIP_VIRTUALENV_BASE

pip honors this setting, and so - after the basic environment space is
(relatively) set, this is what is happening (what it looks like on OS-
X, but will happen in other environs too, I'm sure):

Creating new virtualenv environment in /Users/my_login/.virtualenvs/../
pinax-env
Using real prefix '/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/
2.6'
New python executable in /Users/my_login/.virtualenvs/../pinax-env/
bin/python

So - I think the instructions should either say something like:

$ python scripts/pinax-boot.py ../pinax-env

OR (for users of virtualenvwrapper) something like:

$ python scripts/pinax-boot.py $WORKON_HOME/scrumdo-dev # I prefer
to keep the pinax-env for pinax specific work, so....

Then - for "wrapper" users, it's simply:

$ workon scrumdo-dev

Hope this makes sense.

- Yarko

Yarko Tymciurak

unread,
Jan 23, 2011, 11:08:39 PM1/23/11
to scrum...@googlegroups.com

...just for completeness: giving an absolute path (other than WORKON_HOME) works but if you use virtualenvwrapper, the activation would be inconsistent with all your other virtual activations, so I wouldn't recommend putting that in the documentation.

On Jan 23, 2011 8:17 PM, "Yarko" <yar...@gmail.com> wrote:

Yarko

unread,
Jan 24, 2011, 12:43:58 AM1/24/11
to ScrumDo-Dev
basically, I'd suggest just mimick - or refer to - the virtualenv
setup suggested at http://pinaxproject.com/docs/0.7/install/
> On Jan 23, 2011 8:17 PM, "Yarko" <yark...@gmail.com> wrote:
Reply all
Reply to author
Forward
0 new messages