Epic Stories...

DaveC

Jun 27, 2011, 3:35:07 PM6/27/11
to ScrumDo-Dev
I read Marc's post on epic stories today, and figured i would share a
couple of thoughts:

(1) i think the ability to refine stories into successively smaller
ones is very important

(2) in our experience, the most common subdivision is that of
acceptance: ie, acceptance stories as a sub-portion of larger stories

(3) since story subdivision should be done by iterative refinement, it
seems like the the view that would make the most sense is a new view
called "story refinement". basically that view would be the ability
to create children of stories to a reasonable depth

(4) a central issue is what happens when you act on parents: if you
move a parent, do you move children? not sure how to resolve this, no
matter what you do its complicated. what if you represent stories with
children as a visual 'stack'-- then if you grab the stack you move
them all, but if you grab one of the ones in the stack you move just
that one?

(5) i think there _should_ be a limit to depth. having unlimited
depth is really hard to design for, and not really useful. i think
more than 3 levels of depth starts getting too complex. maybe 4 or 5
would be a reasonable limit