⚖ This March, all I want with you is to discuss about userstory estimation. Interested?

Albert Arul Prakash

Mar 13, 2021, 12:30:08 PM3/13/21
to All

Hey All,
The real intent of user story estimation is to build shared understanding among the team members. however, that real intent slowly took backseat and today, many anti-patterns are seen and team estimates stories in ways that helps organizations to drink that old wine in new bottle.

let us together search and find the real intent of user story estimation and bring back the spirit of true agility

Event Mode: Collaboration using Miro, Zoom
Event date: 20 March 2021
Event Time: 20:30 Hrs IST / 15:00 Hrs. GMT / 07:00 Hrs. PST
Duration: 1 Hour
Register at: https://forms.gle/PsYF1KrJkJWnXwWm7

In this webinar, you would

  1. Understand why relative size estimation
  2. What are different types of estimation methods
  3. If not modified fibonacci whatelse?

On 20th March, 2021, We will explore the real intent of why user story estimation and how it is helpful to have shared understanding of stories for development

Do register for this amazing webinar scheduled for March 20, 2021 at 20:30 Hrs IST / 15:00 GMT / 07:00 PST.

Register here at https://forms.gle/PsYF1KrJkJWnXwWm7

Regards,
Albert Arul Prakash
Linkedin
Phone: +91 99004 39246

Chet Hendrickson

Mar 13, 2021, 1:08:52 PM3/13/21
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
HI,

Sorry I can’t make it.

As one of the folks that sort of started all of this, let say that it was the best we could think of in 1996, by 2001 we had discovered better ideas, and by now it should have been kicked to the curb long ago.

Michael James

Mar 13, 2021, 5:00:49 PM3/13/21
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
I’m curious how I’m getting this email since I unsubscribed from TCC. But Chet’s messages were the ones I actually found worth reading.

Kind of related, I just worked with a client that thought “Scrum of Scrums” was an official part of Scrum, even though Schwaber disavowed it in his 2004 book. It’s like one of those bad songs that gets stuck in your head and won’t go away.

—mj
(Michael)

> On Mar 13, 2021, at 10:08 AM, Chet Hendrickson <ch...@hendricksonxp.com> wrote:
>
> HI,
>
> Sorry I can’t make it.
>
> As one of the folks that sort of started all of this, let say that it was the best we could think of in 1996, by 2001 we had discovered better ideas, and by now it should have been kicked to the curb long ago.
>
> chet
>
> To view this discussion on the web visit https://groups.google.com/d/msgid/scrumalliance/515B3B9F-FDA3-46FB-8780-B205E4AB932F%40hendricksonxp.com.

Chet Hendrickson

Mar 14, 2021, 11:27:31 AM3/14/21
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
HI MJ,

This isn’t TCC, its some  other group that seems mostly dormant.

chet

Dan Rawsthorne

Mar 14, 2021, 2:22:22 PM3/14/21
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
On 3/13/2021 2:00 PM, Michael James wrote:
> Kind of related, I just worked with a client that thought “Scrum of Scrums” was an official part of Scrum, even though Schwaber disavowed it in his 2004 book. It’s like one of those bad songs that gets stuck in your head and won’t go away.

Actually, mj, Schwaber didn't disavow it in his 2004 book.

[Note: Just so nobody gets confused, the scrum-of-scrums we're talking
about here is the member-from-each-team Daily Scrum, not a Team in itself.]

What Schwaber said (pg 132) is that the scrum-of-scrums seems contrary
to self-organization. He went on to say "Scrum relies on
self-organization as well as simple, guiding rules. ... When the
complexity is so great that self-organization doesn't occur quickly
enough, simple rules help the organization reach a timely resolution. If
self-organization occurs in a timely manner, I prefer to rely on it..."

This is far from a disavowal. In fact, we see that Ken knew the scaling
problem was potentially complex enough that self-organization is not
enough to solve it.

Dan  ;-)

Dan Rawsthorne, PhD, PMP, CST

George Dinwiddie

Mar 19, 2021, 12:17:36 PM3/19/21
to scruma...@googlegroups.com
If you're looking for shared understanding, I suggest that Example
Mapping (https://cucumber.io/blog/bdd/example-mapping-introduction/) is
a more direct route than story estimation.

- George

On 3/13/21 12:30 PM, Albert Arul Prakash wrote:
> Hey All,
> The real intent of user story estimation is to build shared
> understanding among the team members. however, that real intent slowly
> took backseat and today, many anti-patterns are seen and team estimates
> stories in ways that helps organizations to drink that old wine in new
> bottle.
>
> let us together search and find the real intent of user story estimation
> and bring back the spirit of true agility

<snip>

Consultant and Coach https://pragprog.com/titles/gdestimate/