modular scripty

wout.

Jul 14, 2010, 11:23:16 AM7/14/10
to scripty2
Hi,

I'm building a slideshow app that needs to run on various devices.
It's will probably be 30% on i-Pod-Pad-Phone and 60% desktop machines
and 10% other devices.

The app is nearly finished and thanks to scripty2 it runs very smooth
on Mobile Safari.
The only thing that concerns me is the size of prototype + s2 (156K
minified, the slideshow script itself is only 6k (3.5k minified).

So I was thinking, it would be great to have an S3 mobile that is less
featured.
Or even a version of S3 that is modular so you only include the
modules needed at that time.

For example, I'm only using appear, fade and morph.
But I prefer building my own touch and gesture functionality rather
than using that of S2.

I realize it's not that easy to pull this whole library to pieces but
surely I'm not the only one with this issue.
An option could be writing my own appear, fade and morph
functionality, I'd rather not try to reinvent the wheel though.

Wout.

Barry

Jul 16, 2010, 11:42:48 PM7/16/10
to scripty2
Hi Wout,
If you are only using some effects, and built your own touch and
gesture functionality, have a look at another of Thomas' projects:
Émile. Minified it's only 2k. Porting the transition effects from S2
is pretty easy too.

The code is here: http://github.com/madrobby/emile
And the blog post introducing it is here:
http://mir.aculo.us/2009/11/07/a-50-lines-of-code-javascript-animation-framework-say-hello-to-emile/

If you're looking for something in-between, I've used $fx() a few
times. http://fx.inetcat.com/

S2 is pretty hard to pull away from Prototype, but you can drop the UI
parts without much trouble.

Cheers,

wout.

Jul 19, 2010, 4:40:40 AM7/19/10
to scripty2
Hi Barry,

Émile looks excellent! It's definitely a good starting point.
I started writing a mini version of prototype with all the functions I
need most but with the same approach as Émile.

For the effects I'll start form Émile and add webkit transitions (if
on a webkit browser).
Thanx for inspiring me!

Wout

On Jul 17, 5:42 am, Barry <barry.se...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi Wout,
> If you are only using some effects, and built your own touch and
> gesture functionality, have a look at another of Thomas' projects:
> Émile. Minified it's only 2k. Porting the transition effects from S2
> is pretty easy too.
>
> The code is here:http://github.com/madrobby/emile
> And the blog post introducing it is here:http://mir.aculo.us/2009/11/07/a-50-lines-of-code-javascript-animatio...
>
> If you're looking for something in-between, I've used $fx() a few
> times.http://fx.inetcat.com/

wout.

Jul 23, 2010, 5:31:55 PM7/23/10
to scripty2