What is the relation between scriptcs and cssript?

Nicolás Paez

Jan 1, 2014, 10:24:47 PM1/1/14
to scri...@googlegroups.com
Hi everyone,

I have just discovered this project and I was wondering what is its relation with csscript (http://www.csscript.net/). Given my limited knowledge of both tools, they seem to address the same problem.

Thanks!
NicoPaez

Damian Schenkelman

Jan 2, 2014, 9:19:26 AM1/2/14
to Nicolás Paez, scri...@googlegroups.com
(I'm no CS-Script expert so anyone please feel free to correct me)

Hi Nicolas,

A couple of differences that came up while reading the CS-Scripts features page are:
  • ScriptCS uses NuGet as a core component for managing dependencies, with the goal of providing an node.js/NPM like experience.
  • ScriptCS has the concept of ScriptPacks and Modules. The former allow you to bootstrap scripts faster while the latter allow you to override the implementation of services to achieve custom behaviors.
  • Does not require an entry point (static void Main()), you can just start writing code and it will execute.
A couple of other interesting features like pre-processing support are explained in this answer.

From the CS-Script side:
  • It allows you to compile to an .exe, while ScriptCS does not yet (although it would not required a lot of effort, and we accept contributions :-)).
  • It can run on any framework version. ScriptCS uses Roslyn, so there is a dependency on NET 4.0.
  • Mono support (we are working on it for ScriptCS!)

Hope this helps.

Thanks,

Nicolás Paez

Jan 2, 2014, 9:37:37 AM1/2/14
to Damian Schenkelman, scri...@googlegroups.com
Thanks! Very useful answer.

Saludos!
NicoPaez

Glenn Block

Jan 2, 2014, 3:40:25 PM1/2/14
to Nicolás Paez, Damian Schenkelman, scri...@googlegroups.com
Another big difference is that scriptcs is an open source project / community driven. This a big part of scriptcs appeal is that the community is working together to evolve it.

oleg....@gmail.com

Sep 3, 2018, 5:47:31 AM9/3/18
to scriptcs
Just found this thread by accident. Too bad i haven't seen it when it was posted.

Since I am the author of CS-Script I can provide you with the accurate information.

CS-Script:
  • MIT licenced OpenSource project hosted on GitHub
  • Supports all OSs
  • Can target all runtimes .NET, Mono, .NET Core
  • Distros are hosted on NuGet and Chocolatey
  • Allows hosting the script engine in app. This also lets dynamically choose the scripting engine. CodeDom, Roslyn or Mono.
  • Can be run as a stand alone executable.
  • Uses either ECMA-compliant C# (the same as VS project) or classless scripts without any entrypoint
  • Has plugins for all major IDEs: Visual Studio, VSCode, Sublime Text 3, Notepad++ (intellisense and debugging)
  • Allows referencing NuGet packages, C# modules, assemblies.
  • Due to the runtime caching deliveres performance of 100% compiled C# code

The simplest way to describe CS-Script is as Python for C# syntax.