Same experience with scriptcs in Visual Studio as with PowerShell in ISE

Carl in 't Veld

May 4, 2015, 8:37:09 AM5/4/15
to scri...@googlegroups.com
Is it possible to have the same experience with scriptcs in Visual Studio as with PowerShell in ISE?
What I specifically would like to know: in ISE I can execute a single line of PowerShell and keep the context going on; i.e. I can manipulate objects on the console and fire any other single lines going on. Is this possible with scriptcs in Visual Studio?

Adam Ralph

May 5, 2015, 1:25:36 AM5/5/15
to scri...@googlegroups.com
What you are referring to is REPL (Read Evaluate Print Loop) AKA 'interactive'.

Currently, scriptcs provides it's own REPL on the command line. I.e. if you start scriptcs.exe providing no arguments you will start the REPL and you can interact with it exactly as you describe.

In VS, there is an interactive window but it doesn't function in the same way, nor support the same features, as the scriptcs REPL. We are currently actively working with Microsoft to align the experience of the VS interactive window the scriptcs REPL with but there are not timelines for delivery yet.